Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Pilgrims in Space

Not surprisingly, Nicco has been learning about Thanksgiving traditions and history in school. Also, since the third grade class did a patriotic performance a few weeks ago we've been listening to his patriotic songs CD in the car. One of the songs mentions pilgrims. More on this later.

The boy has been talking about all the things he is thankful for. It's a good thing to do. It's good practice. He made a booklet about gratitude at school yesterday. It says, with his answers in italics,:
    
     On Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for my cat.
     I'm thankful for my family because portecshen [sic] (protection).
     At mealtimes I'm thankful for vitamins and protein.
     At school I'm thankful for my spelling tests each Friday.
     Outside when I look at nature, I'm thankful for trees because they give us oxygen and shade.
     I'm thankful I have clothes.
     I almost forgot! I'm also thankful for pilgrims.

About these pilgrims. On our ride home from Mesa when the line "Oh beautiful for pilgrim feet, whose firm impassioned stress, a thoroughfare of freedom beat across the wilderness" came up on the CD he asked, "Did pilgrims find this country?" I told him that there were people already living here but then explorers found the country. Pilgrims were the first people to settle it and build cities. He said, "I'm thankful the pilgrims built cities. We should say thank you to those pilgrims when we're in space."

No comments: