I spy with my little eye two boys with Christmas Fever!
Okay, maybe just one of the two actually has the fever, but the other one is at least a good sport.
Traditionally, the day after Thanksgiving is the day to put up the tree and other Christmas decorations but with turkey day falling so early this year, I was just not ready nor in the mood for it quite yet! But, the Christmas Fever became Actual Fever and the small boy stayed home from school on Monday, so the Dad humored and consoled him by putting up the lights.
With the lights up, it was just a matter of time and nagging harassment before I gave in and put up the tree. And, I spy with my little eye a very naughty and sneaky cat. Look at her. With her evil squinty eyes.
To the great disappointment of the small boy, I insisted on NOT putting any "ordaments" on the tree until after we saw how the cat dealt with the tree. Not being quite in the Christmas mood to begin with, thinking about cleaning up shattered glass really brought out the Grinch in me. The cat was not too bad on that first evening of the Plain Tree, so we added lights on the second day. Mostly she sits under the tree, with that wicked look on her kitty face, daring me to do anything about it. On Nicco's third sick day, we added the soft decorations. The cat has played with those, so the others remain boxed up.
On the third sick day, I decided to go ahead and call the doctor. I called at 8:40, ten minutes after the clinic opened, and was told there was an opening at 9:30 and at 10:15. I had not yet showered, so I took the 10:15. I arrived to a PACKED waiting room. What the crap! Seriously? A packed waiting room in a clinic with only one doctor only 1.5 hours after opening? I would not be surprised to see the place packed at the end of the day with a whole day of appointments getting backed up, but that early? Seriously? So we waited. And waited. And waited some more.
After an hour and a half of waiting I was tempted to just go home because I knew I would pay my $20 and be told that it's some virus. Drink plenty of fluids, get plenty of rest, thank you very much, cha-ching! But I figured I'd already sat there that long, I may as well stick it out to the end. We got to the exam room, the nurse weighed my kid (really? they knew why I was there...and I had just gone in for the well child visit a couple weeks before) then took his temperature and said the doctor would be in soon. Sorry for the wait, he got behind. After about 20 minutes in the exam room, my little monkey was bouncing off the walls and the Physician's Assistant came in and asked some questions, listened to heart and lungs, looked in mouth and ears, made some notes and said the doctor will be in soon.
Another twenty minutes later, the doctor came in and did all the same things the PA did, wrote a prescription for a codeine-laced cough syrup and anti-biotics for the bronchial infection. Well, I was glad I waited after all, poor kid. We went out to get our lollipop and receipt and the waiting room was completely silent and empty. Good gracious sakes, people! Learn how to schedule appointments!
Yesterday was the fourth sick day and my boy was tired (codeine!) and just wanted to watch t.v. But he also wanted to be snuggled up in a Pillow Fort. And I spy with my little eye Nicco, watching a show via periscope.
Oh my goodness.
No comments:
Post a Comment