Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Jury Duty

I received a jury summons just before I went to Colorado, summoning me to report on July 24th. At that time, Nicco was still in French camp all day so I was slightly concerned about dropping off and picking up, but I figured The Boss would let Patrice go a little early for a day or two to get the kid if necessary.

When I checked in the day before, my group was rescheduled. This meant I did not need to worry about drop off and pick up, but I had a whole new problem...what the heck would I do with the boy all day for who knows how many days? Lucky for me I have good friends who are back from vacation and are patient and willing to take Nicco while I do my civic duty.

Pretty much everyone I know doesn't want to serve jury duty. I don't especially want to either, but like most people, I'm willing and accept that responsibility as an essential part of our democracy. So off I went to the court house. I only had to drive around town in construction for 20 minutes before I found a spot to park.

We watched an orientation video with general instructions and procedures and a reminder that it is not just a duty, but a right and a privilege to serve on a jury. Blah blah blah.

I waited for an hour and a half before the first bailiff came in to call for jurors. I was not called. In the next hour or so, several bailiffs called several groups, but not me. Then they gave us a 45 minute break. I was sitting next to a younger girl who clearly did not feel that jury duty was a right and a privilege. She huffed and puffed and sighed heavily and emphatically and frequently to let us all know how put upon she felt. As if she were somehow different from the other 400 people in the jury pool.

We were given a lunch break and I think 375 of the jurors in the pool went directly across the street to the only restaurant on that particular block. I know there are plenty of fast food places within walking distance, but I (and just about everyone else) didn't feel like going on a grand quest for a sandwich. To their credit, Baggin's handled the onslaught quite well. They are only open for lunch Monday through Friday. I don't know if that is the case for all locations, but that spot across from the courthouse certainly doesn't seem to need more revenue than it takes in at the lunch hour.

When I got back to the jury assembly room, there was one more group called and the rest of us were informed that the case we were assigned to was settled but we had to stick around in case the other judges needed more jurors. Earlier I wanted to get called so I could get on with the process, but at that announcement, I just wanted to go home. 

No such luck. I was called up with the next group, along with Miss Put Upon and 38 others. The judge and clerks went through the checking in and swearing in then started asking questions of the potential jurors. We were informed that this was a criminal case involving sexual crimes against a minor. Audible gasps. The judge told us that there would be sexually explicit and possibly graphic descriptions and evidence presented and if we couldn't hear those discussions openly and impartially, raise our hands. Easy out for Miss Put Upon. While I wouldn't enjoy it, I thought I could hear the discussions and evidence, so I didn't raise my hand.

The next question was whether we had strong feelings about the issue and allegations presented. I hesitated, because I do feel strongly about performing my civic duty, but as a mom, I also feel strongly about sexual crimes against minors. I honestly didn't think I could be impartial and objective in that case.

Juror 108, dismissed. Back to the pool. In the assembly room, the other dismissed jurors checked in and were asked to wait for just a little longer. Then it was my turn and the lady told me I was done.

So that was it. My first jury duty experience in the books.

No comments: