Every year, each grade does a musical performance for the parents. The kindergarteners do a year end thing, the first graders do the Christmas show, the third graders do a patriotic show, and the others do something relating to a unit of study at some point throughout the year. I asked Nicco's teacher about the second grade performance and she pursed her lips and shook her head and said "IF we do one, it will be around spring break." If? I asked. Yes, she said. If. Because with the new common core curriculum in place, there is no room for fluff. I understand cutting sports, arts, and music if there is no money. I strongly believe that the school's focus should be on academics first. If people value sports, art, and music, they will find a way to integrate that into their family through camps, lessons, museum trips, and musical/theater experiences. However, changing the curriculum did not remove the music and arts from the school. Just the performances. That's not okay. Apparently, enough of the parents, teachers, and school board types agreed with Mrs. Marcy's position and all grades got to do a performance after all. I applaud her efforts to make sure it happened.
The second graders performed "Oh What a Day!"
It was a terrible, horrible, no good very bad day. They got up on the wrong side of the bed, the brother used all the milk on his cereal, pants were inside out, favorite shirt was lost, what else could go wrong?
| Kick ball--Please don't let me be the last one picked! |
| Hiccups! |
| Brain freeze!
|
| Nicco got to give the flowers to Mrs. Marcy! :) |
No comments:
Post a Comment