Thursday, January 10, 2013

A Rant

Because I fell off my "no hate in 2013" resolution wagon yesterday.

Today at school during pick-up time, a few moms were complaining about how much they hate the rule that to get a 4 in music and p.e. the kids have to do "all this extra work."

I said that I like the rule. I think it is great that kids who want to get the highest possible mark actually have to put in a little extra effort.

*BOOM* CRASH POW!!!

These women turned on me like the Ghost of Large Marge and yelled to me "IT'S BULLSHIT!"

Wow. A little over the top, I thought, but I'll try to explain my opinion. I think, I said, that kids who just show up to class should be satisfied with the perfectly respectable 3 they deserve for showing up to class and participating. They teachers laid out their expectations at the beginning of the year, and "all this extra work" is four extra assignments in a quarter. And, it's not really "extra" if it is the teacher's stated expectation. One a week for both classes. And they really aren't that hard. Even for the mom of a first grader. And going to the music performance counts for all 4.
Not. That. Hard.

RAWR HISS SPIT and VENOM!!!

"IT'S BULLSHIT!"
"KIDS GET HUNDREDS IN CLASS BUT DON'T GET A 4!"

Well, no, I said, because the teacher specifically stated her expectations at the beginning of the year. To earn a 4, a little. extra. work. is. required.

GRAWRRRR!!!
"NO. NO. NO. It's BULLSHIT!" (yawn. you said that already.)
"It's okay when you just have one kid, but it's really hard when you have three."

Okay, I said, so you didn't realize when You. Made. The. Choice. to have more than one kid that it would maybe be a little more work? You needed four extra p.e. assignments in 1st grade to get that message? That is the lamest excuse ever.

My friend interjected, "My problem with grading is that when kids actually demonstrate, through school/teacher evaluation that they are performing beyond the grade level standard, they still can only get a 2 if it is only the 2nd quarter."

BOOM CRASH POW AND BANG!!!
Then bravely defending their convictions, the moms turned away and mumbled something about Republicans.

It was amazing. And sad. On so many levels.

First, the participation award mentality. I exist, therefore I deserve praise and high marks.

Second, that these particular moms don't want their kids to learn the value of effort. Work ethic. It's a good thing. And oh, so easy to practice and instill in young children with 4 extra p.e. and music assignments!

Third, that these particular moms automatically ascribed work ethic to republicans and deemed it undesirable.

I'm stunned.

3 comments:

Dad said...

How much more will these moms complain when your child will eventually be their childrens' boss and actually accomplishes something meaningful in life because he learned the value of hard work?

Tam said...

I can hear it now...it's not fair! Wah!

Danae said...

Damn Democrats! Want what everyone else works hard for (or not so hard in the 4 extra little assignments case) without the effort. Parents like these are a huge part of the problem. Life is not fair nor equal!