Thursday, January 31, 2013

An Endorsement

Patrice has mentioned several times how he gets requests for "endorsements" via the professional networking site LinkedIn(or community, I don't really know what to call it.) Some lady e-mailed him, telling him what she does, asking him to write her a recommendation. These requests come from people who don't know him and whom he does not know, so what does that kind of "endorsement" mean?

Two words: absolutely nothing.
Actually, it's worse than nothing. It's fraudulent and deceptive.

When I make an endorsement, it's based on actual experience or first hand knowledge.
Here's a little back story for ya.

I was a super skinny kid. Itty bitty. I weighed less than 100 pounds up until I was in college. I remember the day I hit triple digits. It was a surprise. Not an unpleasant surprise, because the numbers never meant anything to me anyway. Just a surprise. I spent the next 5 years or so hovering around 100-105. Then I got a job and a little older and I added another 5 pounds. It was good to have a little substance to my form. The 110-115 was a welcome change. It wasn't until I turned 30 (and took my first trip to France with my sweetie pie) that I really put on some significant poundage. Twelve pounds in two weeks. Still, the 120s weren't too bad. In fact, I thought that was about my ideal weight. But then...I approached 40 and I felt like Bruce Willis's French girlfriend in Pulp Fiction, except that instead of wishing I "had a pot," I actually had one. I had to do some mental stretching to convince myself that what she said was true: Pot bellies make a man look either oafish, or like a gorilla. But on a woman, a pot belly is very sexy. The rest of you is normal. Normal face, normal legs, normal hips, normal ass, but with a big, perfectly round pot belly. If I had one, I'd wear a tee-shirt two sizes too small to accentuate it.  Although I would never wear a tee shirt two sizes too small to show off a pot belly. Anyway, I figured, as most people do, that we get older and our bodies change and that is just the way it is. I was okay with my pot. Then I was playing exercise on the wii fit and the number that never bothered me before bothered me. I crossed a line I swore I would never cross. I had to make a decision. Be happy with my pot, or do something about it.

I decided to do something about it. I started running again. But I live in AZ. I can't run outside in the summer. Lucky me, I have a friend who owns a gym! Lady of America, Fitness for Women, right here in Rancho Vistoso! Right next to Safeway! Convenient!  http://www.ladyofamerica.com/OroValley/

Here's the endorsement: Lady of America is Perfect. For everyone. Well, if you're a lady. It's not perfect for you if you're a man. No Boys Allowed! It doesn't matter your size or ability, it's a friendly and supportive environment for improving one's health. And who doesn't want to be more healthy? A gym membership is a lot less costly than chronic health problems.

The menu of classes has something for everyone...strength, aerobics, zumba, yoga, etc. I don't like classes, so I just watch while I run on the treadmill. The ladies in the classes like the classes though, they have a blast! They sweat and move and groove and SMILE!

If you like to be invisible, like me, you can go to the gym when it is not busy and no one will see you. Until your pot melts and you actually want to be seen. Then you can go when it's busy and show off.

My personal new favorite is TRX. It kicks my arse. (Not swearing, remember. I said it in british.) I have little lines of muscular definition after just a few classes. Which is kind of awesome.

I love that it's a women's gym. No sweaty men grunting and stinking and ogling.

And my favorite thing about Lady of America in Rancho Vistoso, it's a local business with an excellent product. I love supporting local businesses, especially when they provide a good service or product for the community.

And that's my endorsement. Be healthy. Support the local business. You'll be glad you did.
http://www.ladyofamerica.com/OroValley/

No comments: