Friday, March 27, 2009

Snow Day

Sheila told me there is a saying in Ohio that there are 3 snows left after the Forsythia bloom. If the same rule applies in Colorado, we have 2 more snows. I woke up on Thursday morning to this view off my patio:

I quickly checked my e-mail and saw that school was cancelled due to the coming storm. I don't recall ever having a pre-emptive school closure in Colorado, but I was pleased as could be to stay home. That meant I would not have to rush to the doctor after school. Mom and Dad arrived at our house just in time for hot, homemade creamy chicken soup and promptly after lunch, Dad took me to my appointment in his 4-wheel drive Pilot. I am sure I would not have made it out of my neighborhood in my car, and even if I did, I would have been stranded outside the parking lot at the doctor's office.

While Dad and I were out on that errand, Grandma crocheted a baby blanket with a little help from Nicco:
After "helping" grandma, Nicco "flew his kite." That entailed throwing the skein of yarn, running to where it landed, then throwing it again. Repeat forever. My house looked like one enormous spider web. We were glad when Patrice made it home early. It took him an hour and a half for his usual 30-minute commute. We were also glad that his boss loaned him their big SUV. I don't know that the little Saturn would have made the trip. Once all our loved ones were settled in for the day, we played, read, ate homemade chilli, watched basketball, and checked the news frequently for updates on closures for Friday. By the time I went to bed last night, Cherry Creek Schools had still not announced whether they would be open or closed. I got up early to check the reports and happily, I was able to go back to bed to enjoy another snow day!

This is the view of my front yard 24-hours after the first picture: Hooray for spring snow! Double hooray for snow days in March!

4 comments:

Danae said...

Fun stuff. We get preemptive cancellations for 1 inch of snow and then the next day too, because it might be slippery!

Sheila said...

We used up all our calamity days this year and I think only one or two of them were actually because of snow. The others were because of our crazy "f-1 tornado hit the entire state" wind storm in september and then because it was too cold to be at the bus stop with the wind chill factor. So we will be in trouble if our three snows are like your snows because then they'll be making up days in June.

Danae said...

we do not have days reserved for weather so we make up our days the first 2 days of spring break. The year round schools go on Sat.

Tam said...

I am pretty sure I would not take my kid to school on Saturday.