Sunday, May 26, 2013

Night Games

I remember when I was little we played There Ain't No Bears Out Tonight, Ghosts in the Graveyard, and other variations of hide-n-seek by the light of the summertime moon. That was fun.

I don't know if other Arizona kids play night games. Mine doesn't. Really nasty poisonous and deadly evil critters come out at night. My kid goes night swimming. The pool thermometer has read in the upper 80s lately. It was actually warm, not slightly chilly, actually and truly warm in the pool yesterday. Even I didn't complain. We had some friends over for dinner and night swim yesterday.





The visitors were kind and accommodating to my little guy. He giggled and squealed and laughed and jumped and dove. He hopped out of the pool at one point to escape Mr. Matt and ran along the pool deck. I had to give him a stern reminder about running, especially at night, especially with his dark goggles. He looked at me and with a dismissive wave of the hand he said, "It's cool, mom."

Wait, what? It's cool, mom? How old is that kid? And, no, it most certainly is NOT cool!

While the little man kept playing, the adults made observations on the passing of time and how quickly a seven year old becomes seventeen. We suddenly realized that the pandora station was empathic and began playing Enya...who can say where the road goes, where the day flows, only time...

After a late dinner, Nicco still wanted to stay up. No school, you know. I did enforce a before 10:00 curfew, tucked my baby who is still my baby into bed, then joined the grown-ups for diabetic coma inducing double chocolate cake.

Not a bad kick off to summer.

No comments: