Monday, March 18, 2013

Top O' Yesterday Morning!

My little boy loves holidays. I put up our Shamrock wall hanging on March 1st for him and he counted down the days until the sneaky leprechaun would arrive. He told stories about the Emerald Isle that he learned at school. He made plans to capture the leprechaun and find his gold. He even suggested that we should use some REAL gold to trap him. I reminded him how sneaky and tricky leprechauns are and I worried he would sneak off with our real gold and leave chocolate coins behind. I didn't think it was a good idea, not to mention an expensive trap at a moment's notice.

He went to bed on Saturday night with dreams of rainbows and pots of gold dancing in his head. And he woke up friggin' early on Sunday! I had planned to make a shamrock trail leading to a pot o'chocolate gold, but I just plum forgot! My boy came in and said, "That leprechaun sure was sneaky. I don't see a sign of him anywhere!"  I said that the day was early, and maybe he'd come while we are away at church. He wouldn't likely come while we are here. I also reminded him that the little fella couldn't get in because of the alarm. We didn't have the alarm last year, so that's how he sneaked in.

As we hopped in the car to go to church, a light bulb went on in Nicco's mind..."Did we have the treehouse last year on St. Patrick's Day??? I KNOW he left surprises there! I just KNOW it!" The boy was about to leap out and check. I sternly told him to buckle up, we'd be late to church, but hang on, I left something inside. I ran in quickly and told the half-sleepy papa that he needed to go for a "bike ride" while we were at church. Give the leprechaun a chance to leave some surprises in Nicco's treehouse. Get it? Wink, wink...

Three hours later, we came home and Nicco ran straight to his house. There wasn't a pot of gold, or even chocolate coins...they would have melted by now. But there were some silly surprises:



"This was the best St. Patrick's Day ever!" said the boy.
"Phew!" said the Mama.

No comments: