The thing we love about California (besides the beach) is all the vegetation. In contrast to our beautiful-in-its-own-way desert, everything grows there. It's so green! Late Saturday morning, we decided to take a walk. Mark and Sandy live near the airport and Mark mentioned a special vantage point for watching planes take off and land. We enjoyed the sights along the way.
Birds of Paradise are probably my favorite of the aforementioned vegetation. I also like this fluffy red puffy plant.
There are lots of artists in California. They are unrestrained by HOAs and covenants. This was a fun little face in the side of the tree, and a band of some kind playing on a neighbor's roof.
There is only one runway in the San Diego airport so it is really busy. No room for more! That city is packed, I tell ya!
Mark and Nicco looking over the highway to the runway. We were standing above the worst place in the world to live. Above the highway and next to the airport. No peace and quiet, ever. Even when the flight curfew hits at 11:00 p.m. the traffic doesn't stop. I wonder if those people moved in before the airport and highway were built. And if not, why did they move there??!!???
An airplane taking off...and another one coming in for a landing.
We stuck around for a while watching airplanes. Nicco entertained himself between flights.
It took a while for Nicco to get a good grasp on the slimy worm, and the fish was getting impatient. But at last, we had success!
(I will insert the semi-amusing video of the fish feeding incident later when google decides not to hate me anymore.)
The whole walk was about two miles round trip. It was more of a stroll really, with lots and lots of breaks during which Mark pointed out interesting neighbors, plants, and their old apartment, plus the airplane and garden stop. In spite of the leisurely pace, my boy thought he would collapse by the time we reached Maple Canyon, under the way-up-high Spruce Street Suspension Bridge. The hike up was daunting to short 7-year old legs. About 10 feet from the top, he sat down and told me to go on ahead. He'd catch up. I let him rest for about 10 seconds then take the five remaining steps to the top.I guess the boy needs to build his muscles and endurance! More exercise is in order.
When we got home, he jogged down the steps of the tri-level terrace to where Sandy was working in the garden.
I don't know if it is due to him being an only child or if it is because we socialize with people who mostly don't have kids, or, more likely, I am The Greatest Mother in the History of Earth with impeccable manners myself and have just raised my boy to emulate me in social circles, or if Nicco is just a pleasant and happy and social little bug, but he really gets along nicely with adults. It made me proud to watch him interacting with our friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment