Tuesday, March 5, 2013

I'll Guard My Own Memories, Thank You Very Much

We watched The Rise of the Guardians some time last week. I liked it. Each of the Guardians protects some aspect of children's innocence: their dreams, wonder, hope, fun, and memories. They guard against fear and darkness brought on by the Boogeyman. The Tooth Fairy is responsible for guarding the memories. You see, somehow, important memories are stored in the baby teeth and the Tooth Fairy returns them just when we need them the most.

I think Nicco was conflicted at the end of the show. He believes in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. The Sandman was new to him, but I think he's open to the possibility of him being real. He's on board with Jack Frost. Jack paid us a visit recently, you know. But fairies...they aren't real. I think he had a hard time reconciling the real guardians and the made up one.

His top front tooth has been loose for days. He kept saying that if he got punched in the face, it would pop right out. Or if the soccer ball hit him in the face at his game, it would pop right out. I kept telling him that it would probably just keep getting looser and looser and we would pull it out, just like the others.

Yesterday morning while I was making his lunch he came running into the kitchen and said, "Mom! I bit my tooth and it popped right out! I think it comes from hitting myself in the face so much."

I asked if he wanted to leave that tooth for the tooth fairy. (I don't want to ruin his sense of wonder, see. I'm a guardian too.) He said no, he pretty much remembers everything. He can guard his own memories.


No comments: