Thursday, June 9, 2011

Winner!

The times and awards from the first swim meet finally got sorted out and the kiddos got their ribbons today.
Nicco's first place ribbon is for the medley relay, in which they were the only competitors. His third place ribbon was for his backstroke, with a time of 48.28 seconds. I thought he got 3rd in his freestyle race, but I guess the other boy edged him out (by swimming all the way to the wall, rather than coasting and bouncing on the bottom, I imagine).

Now we have goals to work on. He swam the breast stroke in their intrasquad meet and his time was around 56 seconds, so we'll see if he can improve on that next week.

He said that "even though the white ribbon is pretty, blue is better because it's for first place. You're more proud of me for the blue ribbon, aren't you?" At this point, I'm mostly proud of him for racing at all, but it is good to see him recognize that first place is best and something to work toward. He's planning to get a "collection" of ribbons. I need to get him a special box, because I might run out of door handles.

No comments: