There are at least 30 kids on the team. So why was Miguel singled out as the only one who had a fantastic swim? He didn't blow the competition away. Hell, he didn't even win. What makes him so fantastic and deserving of an ALL CAPS congratulations in an announcement sent to the parents of all the kids on the team? Could it be because he weighs roughly 350 pounds?
I'll say this: I imagine it takes great fortitude and strength of character for someone of his stature to swim at all, not to mention to put on a speedo and do it in front of lots of people you don't know. Good for him. Really.
I'll also say this: I don't think it is any more difficult for Miguel to perform than it is for Nicco. I don't think Nicco needs or deserves special attention and extra congratulations because he's the only 5 year old on the team. I don't think he's extra fantastic because he did it and he's only 5. I think he's extra fantastic because he's MINE, just like every other parent thinks their own kid is extra fantastic.
Frankly, if I were Miguel, I would want to be as anonymous as possible, but maybe that's just me.
Singling out one kid of the 30 or so is mildly offensive and extremely annoying. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt though...maybe the next announcement will spotlight a different "fantastic swim."
Anyone taking bets?
No comments:
Post a Comment