Friday, June 24, 2011

(Almost) Weekend Update

Nicco had a play date with his girl Danielle. When we arrived, we were promptly informed of pending nuptials. Danielle said, "Nicco said I'm pretty, so I think he is handsome. We'll probably get married." I visited with her mom until the little sister was ready for a nap at which time I was invited to run errands (or whatever...) until around 4:00. When I told Nicco I would be leaving for a while he said, "YES!!! Go ahead, Mom. You can leave." When I came back he said he wanted to stay forever. I think it was only on account of Frankie that I was able to convince him to leave.

We went directly from Danielle's house to swim races. Nicco did great except for his freestyle race. I didn't get to him before his race to make sure his goggles were properly "sucked on," so when he got in the pool they filled up with water. He pulled himself along the lane line, crying all the way. He was upset, embarrassed, mad, and disappointed all rolled into one. Poor buddy.

Nicco's twins' dad is something of a hero. He was helping to evacuate people and animals in the fire danger zone for the past week. He told us some amazing stories. America's favorite senator, John McCain, has been getting some heat for suggesting that at least one of our fires was likely started by illegal aliens without any facts or evidence to support that claim. While it is certainly a likely possibility, you just don't say those things when you are in someone like McCain's position if you can't back it up. On the other hand, if you are on the fire lines and you see someone actually light a fire and drive away in a truck with mexican plates, that's a different story.  But don't worry, these are just people looking for a better life and our border is totally secure.

It's hot here. Over 105 for the past several days, pushing 110 for the foreseeable future. I'm "cooling" my house to 85 and the AC just cranks away starting around 10 a.m. I don't know how people can bring themselves to pay the bill it takes to cool a house to 75 in this weather. All I can say is thank goodness for the pool!

4 comments:

Danae said...

I cool my house clear down to 78. If we start feeling hot, which we do, I tell everyone to go outside for 5 minutes and come back in. The 78 feels really good!

I heard McCain say that he made that statement after he was briefed by the fire people and that he was repeating what he had just been told. And, yeah our borders are totally secure, and the economy is better.

Tam said...

Re: McCain, he's been changing his statement every time he talks to someone new. Okay, that may be an exaggeration, but he has made at least 3 versions of what he "meant" to say. Idiot. But, la la la...rainbows and unicorns, happy happy!

Danae said...

one good thing- if he keeps making himself sound like a complete fool, he won't get the republican nomination!

Tam said...

I don't know...Mitt Romney seems to be doing pretty well in spite of sounding like a complete fool, with a record to match.