Friday, May 13, 2011

Preview

Papa Quail was pacing noisily around the yard all day yesterday. I hoped his sudden vocal expression was either a warning to other critters because his babies were hatching, or a proud announcement because his babies were hatching. I have been really good about staying away from the nest. I never told Nicco about it, and I told Patrice so that he would not disturb them doing yard work and clean up.

This morning when I took out the trash, I heard scurrying and rustling among the dead leaves and when I peeked in the corner, sure enough! The babies arrived! A couple of them scooted out then scooted back into their safe hiding place, but I did not have my camera with me. Boo hoo. When I brought the trash can to the sidewalk, I saw Mama and Papa on patrol. I think it is curious that they both went out, leaving the babies unattended.
No one was home when I snapped this picture, so I wonder if the parents were scouting to make sure the coast was clear before going back to get the babies. I don't know how many babies there are, but based on this evidence, there is at least a handful. It also looks like one or two didn't make it. And there is also one who apparently ventured out too soon. I don't know what got him, poor baby. But look how itty bitty and cute and fuzzy they are! (please ignore the poop...)

I wonder if they will come back to their nest when they are done with their walkabout, or if they will keep wandering. I think they stick close to home, generally. Last year I watched a little family grow up...they would cross the street in the mornings when I went to pick Nicco up from school, so I expect my little bird family will return to their nest. I will have to keep my eyes peeled and my camera handy!

No comments: