Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day Tribute to the Soldiers in my Life

Not all my soldiers are fallen soldiers, and none of them fell on the field of battle. Nevertheless, I thank and honor them, and their brothers in arms.

The brave die never, though they sleep in dust:
Their courage nerves a thousand living men.
~Minot J. Savage

They are dead; but they live in each Patriot's breast,
And their names are engraven on honor's bright crest.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


My Grandfather, in the 40s
Grandpa in his dress whites, 1944

My Dad in his dress uniform, a draftee in the Viet Nam War
Basic Training
I'm not allowed to share any of Patrice's army pictures so this will have to suffice. He fulfilled his duty and served his country. He's my soldier, knight, and dragonslayer.

(When Mom finds her dad's army pictures, I can add those.)

My heartfelt thanks to all the soldiers, past and present.

4 comments:

Danae said...

I love seeing the old pictures! Grandpa was so handsome, as was Dad. Dad looks thrilled, doesn't he?

Tam said...

There is another picture like that where Dad actually is attempting a smile, but I liked the serious/sad one better. I think it more accurately reflects his service. It wasn't his ambition or choice to be a soldier, though he did honor to his country by fulfilling his duty. It wasn't exactly the happiest time in our young parents' lives.

Danae said...

no, it was not the happiest time. I do think that picture is appropriate. I just love the ones of grandpa!

Tam said...

Me too. I hope mom can find the ones of Grandpa Martindale.