Sunday, May 9, 2010

Me, a Mother

Nicco loves holidays. He's been giddy as can be in anticipation of Mother's Day. All the commercials for flowers and chocolates and such have added to his excitement in ways I would never have expected. He talks back to the voice-over on television commercials saying things like, "You're RIGHT! Flowers WOULD make a great Mother's Day gift!" Once he asked me what I want for my Mother's Day gift. I told him I just want a hug and a kiss. He rolled his eyes and said "Oh, come on! That's not a gift, that's love, and I've done that a million times. Why don't you just think about what you want for Mother's Day." I told him that he needs to talk to Daddy about that. The Daddy asked me what I want, and I said nothing. He said, "But it's Mother's Day." I really don't need or want more than what I have already, and besides...My Boy's Daddy recently bought me a house. I told him he's covered for a few years, to which he responded "Good answer."

The big day arrived, and with the scorpion scare last night, something akin to the nesting instinct kicked in today and I cleaned my house. I emptied closets, vacuumed every little nook and cranny. The Daddy took The Boy to Home Depot to buy scorpion repellent spray and materials for shelves so we could get all our closet things off the floor. I also washed, folded, AND put away four loads of laundry, ran the dishwasher, made lunch for my small family (Patrice helped), and squeezed in some pool time. At one point in the day, Patrice said to me that I shouldn't be working like this on Mother's Day, and I said "What is the point of being a mother if I can't take care of my family?" As I folded my laundry, a smile spread over my face and my heart swelled with love for these two boys who made me a mother. I did all my wife/mom jobs today with a sincere sense of fulfillment. I know there are women in the world who view household chores as something of a divine role, that of Wife or Mother. I am not one of those women, but today, as I looked at my house, my little boy playing and making noise, my big boy building and working, I feel my place in this family; me, a mother, and I am content.

Our new patio set, with my Arizona bouqet

Appropriate, don't you think, for an Arizona mom. Nicco picked it out himself.
Nicco's school Mother's Day project. He was not happy with it, because he "didn't even smile."

My baby wanted to write a note for his Daddy the other day. He asked me how to spell the words, but did all the writing himself. I love his Daddy too. I'm glad to be a Mother.
--------------------------------------------------------
P.S. After Nicco finished his sippy as we snuggled for sleep, I said "Good night, my good boy." He said "Good night, my good mom, and happy mother's day. I wonder what we should get for your next happy mother's day gift." I told him he has a long time to think about it. He told me I'm right, and next we need to think about Father's Day. I said "What do you think Daddy wants for Father's Day?" He said "We'll have to think about it. Daddy's thinking about a Jeep."

No comments: