Some time ago I was talking with Sheila about how I don't believe in the permanence of anything on the internet and that I would one day like to make my blog into a book. A few days later, she sent me a link to a company that does precisely that! So I spent hours and hours uploading and arranging text and photos to make a satisfactory book, only to have to START ALL OVER every time Patrice cleaned up the computer. It only happened twice, but I was really pleased, happy, and mostly relieved when January 1 arrived and I could finalize my project and send it off to be made into a book. It arrived today! Hip, hip, hooray! Nicco browsed through the pages, flipping back and forth, reliving the memories recorded within.

I learned a few things that I will change in future editions. First, bigger is better. Some of the photo layouts make the pictures too small. Next time, I will keep the text on one side and pictures on the other, rather than trying to put text and photos all on one page. That way I can probably make the text bigger too. Sometimes I squeezed too much and it is a little difficult to read. It will only get more difficult as I get older. I thought about making a table of contents, I will probably do that next time. I didn't include comments from blog posts as I went along and since the software to upload the blog posts did not include the comments, it was just way too tedious to add them all, so next time I will do that. Overall, I am very happy with it! It is much better than a boring snoring photo album, and as tedious as it was to arrange everything, it is MUCH less tedious and time consuming and considerably less expensive than making scrapbooks. There are over 500 pictures, which would cost at least $50 to print them all, plus the cost of either photo albums or scrapbooking stuff. So to have a hard cover book with all my pictures and stories in 258 pages for $70 (plus shipping) is pretty darn reasonable!
4 comments:
I have heard that blogtoprint.com is easy. I went to the site but I could not see what I was looking for. What site did you use?
I used blurb.com you can "slurp" your blog, but if you do that, it uses a default page format. I just uploaded my blog and customized the pages to accomodate text and pictures.
Thanks for the info! I've been wanting to make a book for the grandparents using snapfish.com which is where most of my pics are loaded. I think yours is much better for the price!
Great idea, Tam. Thanks for the tips, too. I'm hoping to do this at some point, although, I don't blog too often, so mine will probably be about 20 pages :-)
Post a Comment