I dropped the boy off at school for his first day of second grade. He met his teacher, Mrs. May, yesterday. She seems lovely and delightful and well organized and excited for her new group of kids. I talked to two other mothers who have had children in her class and they really liked her. Good news.
We came around the corner to the school and like every year, the line of cars was a mile long. Happily, I have a friend who lives just behind the school. She opens her gate every year and invites her friends to walk their children through her back yard to avoid the chaos of the First Day of School Carmageddon in the parking lot. I don't know if she does this every year, but she told me to use her yard again this afternoon and she will have snacks for all the kids who pass through to visit and play and celebrate the completion of the first day of the new year. She's so nice. And thoughtful. And generous.
Because I didn't go school supply shopping before the meet-n-greet yesterday, I walked Nicco into his classroom with his bag of supplies this morning. He saw some of his friends and we sorted his supplies into their proper bins and he sat down to do the introductory assignment on the board while Mrs. May greeted all the incoming children.
I kissed my boy on the forehead and walked away. No kisses on the mouth...no more of that. He won't let me hold his hand anymore either. He's too big. Maybe that's why I had warm eyes and a lump in my throat as I walked away today. Second grade isn't a milestone in the school timeline, but it is a marked change in my boy growing up. Ouch. The Daddy is proud, but I'm in pain. ~
sniff~ Boo hoo.
I picked up the mail on my way home, which I hadn't done for a couple of days. In it there was a letter from his teacher, introducing herself and asking the kids to bring in something special to share with the class for a getting to know you activity. It included a note to the parents, stating that the kids can focus better with a healthy snack around 10:00 a.m. so if we could send a little something for that time it would be nice. So my kid did not have anything special to share with the class, and he did not have a snack. I'm feeling like the worst mom ever.
In the days leading up to school starting again, Nicco has said he's not ready and he doesn't want to go back. But last night on our way to swim he said he's half excited for school. I can't wait to pick him up and hear all about his day. Somehow I'm sure it will go fine, even without the snack.
2 comments:
I love that friend too! I'm jealous that you get to bask in her glow.
Also, I'm sure Nicco had a great first day. Somehow, I think he came up with something special to share. He's like that.
I shot an e-mail to his teacher as soon as I read her letter. She will take the whole first 3 days to let the kids introduce themselves and share, so he will get a second chance tomorrow. Phew! And that friend, she's really wonderful. But we miss basking in your glow!
Post a Comment