Tuesday, April 9, 2013

No Mourning the Mourning Doves this Morning

This is what happened yesterday.
 
The Papa Bird was MIA.
 
The poor Mama was left with NO NEST to protect her baby all day in the crazy insane wind, did I mention, ALL DAY LONG. When the wind slowed, it started to rain. That poor Mama alternated facing into the wind and putting her back to it, ruffling her feathers. She was scrunched up against the wall as much as she could be, and the little baby was snuggled up under her bum.
 
We watched them all day yesterday, suffering and enduring. Patrice even said at one point, "There's nothing we can do, is there?" No, any human efforts would probably have frightened the Mama into abandoning her nestless baby. So we let them be.
 
This morning we peeked out...the Mama is still there. The baby is still there. I was talking on the phone to my sister and the Papa came back! He's rebuilding. See him? He has a twig in his mouth. 
He brings sticks and twigs and leaves and says something, nuzzles the Mama and the Baby, then he flies away to get more sticks and twigs.

I think I'm going to put some bread out for them.

No comments: