Nicco colored eggs on Saturday night. He left them in the dye all through the whole movie "A Night in Casablanca." (The kid LOVES Mr. Bean. We thought it would be a good time to introduce him to the Marx Brothers too.) They were the brightest eggs I've ever seen!
On Sunday morning, he hunted all the hard-boiled eggs but not the plastic ones. He was saving those to hunt with our friends when they came over after church to share our Easter feast. I was proud of him for being so generous!
The pool was up to 80 degrees so the kids played the afternoon away in the water while the grown-ups ate snacks. I made deviled eggs. Somehow, that seems a little blasphemous for an Easter treat.
We had a delightful day with our friends, we watched the conclusion of The Bible which happily focused on the Crucifixion and resurrection of Christ, and we went to bed feeling content.
Except that I may have spent some uneasy moments in fitful sleep, wondering what kind of prank the Daddy would come up with for April Fool's Day. He can be tricky, and a little mean. At pick up time in front of the school yesterday afternoon, some of the moms were talking about silly pranks. I told them about how my husband can tease me. They agreed, his last prank was mean. Nicco and I decided that we would call the Daddy on the way home from school and tell him that Nicco was climbing a tree in front of the school, fell out and broke his arm. We were on the way to the hospital. The other moms said, Oh, that's really mean. I reminded them who I was up against! We practiced in the car, with the kid crying hysterically in the back seat. Sadly, my phone dropped my calls! Curse you, AT&T! I didn't get revenge.
Nicco, apparently, had a trick up his sleeve. He told me so. Every few hours throughout the day he reminded me that he had a trick to play on me. Every time he said it, I told him he better not trick his mother! Then, just before bed, he said it one more time. I said, "You're running out of time!" He said, "HA! There is NO trick! I tricked you all day thinking there was a trick!" Ha ha.
And, we've been watching Doctor Who. My most recent favorite quote from the Doctor came in an episode in which a man was alive who was not supposed to be. Rose said to the doctor that he hardly matters. It's not like he starts World War 3 or anything. The Doctor responds, "An ordinary man, that's the most important thing in creation! The whole world is different because he's alive." I love the idea that ordinary people, as individuals, are the most important creation and that each one of us makes a difference in the world just by being alive.
Nicco thought Doctor Who was awesome. He wanted to watch one more episode before bed. There was plenty of time so we did it. It was Creepy. With a capital C. There was a little kid looking for his mommy, calling and asking in a sing-song voice, "Mommy...mommy...Are you my mommy?" And the people's faces turned into gas masks. That's the stuff of nightmares right there. I fully expected Nicco to come into my room at some point in the night. He didn't.
The sun went down and the moon came up and our holiday weekend came to a close.
Peace will find a way
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment