Monday, April 22, 2013

For The Record

Nicco got another taste of the rewards of hard work at swim practice today.

Getting promoted to Lane 2 means he is swimming with older and bigger kids. There were two kids in the two lanes Coach Debbie was working with. That meant they got to swim side by side. Little Nicco (there's another Nicco on the team. Other Nicco is Big Nicco. My Nicco is Little Nicco.) kicked bootay. He swam faster, more efficient, stronger, and better than two of the three other kids.

At one point, Coach had them doing a breathing drill. Most of the kids didn't quite catch on. I say most because one kid did catch on. And did it perfectly. And was asked to demonstrate while the others got out of the pool and watched from the sideline. Someone's Mama was beaming. She must beware her pride. She's very proud.

When Little Nicco finished the drill and came back to my end of the pool, I gave him a high five and told him I was proud of him. In the car he told me that after I gave him a high five, he went under water and smiled. (My heart. It is bursting.)

He earned a few extra wii minutes today.

Our super speedy niece Lucy went to the State of Sport Awards recently (she did not win, but winning in this case actually and truly is in the nomination) at which Andre Agassi said, "Sports builds a muscle that makes you say, 'what can I do to be better today'." I do believe my boy is exercising that very muscle.

I'm so happy.

No comments: