Sunday, September 23, 2012

STOMP

A couple of weeks ago while I was trudging through my treadmill run at the gym an advertisement for STOMP came on. Limited engagement! it said. Two days only! Get your tickets now!
 
I went home and told the Daddy that STOMP was coming to Tucson. He saw them perform before when he lived in Philly. He was blown away by their performance. Amazing! He said. I thought the Boy would like it too.
 
We made it a Family Date Night. Dinner and a show. We went to the Macaroni Grill. It was pretty awful, but it filled us up. Pasta. Bread. More pasta and bread.
 
This was our first time attending a performance at the Tucson Music Hall. It was very confusing. There were no ushers or signs indicating where to go and as we wandered, the only doors we saw led to bathrooms. We finally found our seats. The rows are really long...there were about 60 seats in our row with no center aisle. If someone had to get up to go potty from the middle of the row, they would have to climb over 30 people. Thank goodness no one had to get up and go potty in the middle of the performance!
 
The stage was lit up and music was playing before the show began. Nicco was not impressed. "So far, this stinks," he said. "Just wait," I said.
 
The elderly lady to the left of me asked if this was the first time we'd taken the kid to a show. Indeed it was. The lady behind me tapped my shoulder and said that the ushers have small boosters for small children. I climbed over 30 people to get to the end of the row to find a booster.
 
Finally the show started. I spent nearly as much time watching the one-man performance in the seat beside me as I did watching the stage performance. Nicco L-O-V-E-D it! He was stomping and clapping and snapping and woo-hooing throughout the show. Oh my goodness me.
 
The elderly lady to the left of me said when it was over, "He was hilarious! It's so nice to see young ones enjoy a show so much!" I concurred, with a big smile.
 
Nicco used this performance to write reports for both Music and P.E.
I helped him make little booklets with the tickets and pictures from the program.
"I went to STOMP on Saterday."
"STOMP is musick and exersise."
"I was amased."

No comments: