Saturday, September 22, 2012

Cross Country, Cars, and Cold!

Nicco and I had a lazy morning. I was finishing a book (Unbroken - we all know of the atrocities committed by the Nazis in WWII and I had some vague knowledge that the Japanese were pretty awful too, but holy cow.  Little Boy and Fat Man were pretty much justified means for the end.) and I was killing time until my super speedy niece took to the trails for an elite X-C invitational race. It was supposed to be webcast live! on the internets, but alas, it was not.
 
When I checked the race website, the people in charge appeared to really be on the ball! They were posting videos of all the races pretty quickly. Not quick enough for me, though. I obsessively hit the refresh button until the girls' race video was posted, then continued while it processed.
 
My poor boy needed some love and attention. I decided to take him to lunch and to a car show while the race video processed. 
We only stayed at the car show for a little while. It was hot. Nicco was bored. Frankly, I was too. Car shows are for Daddies. We decided to jump in the pool when we got home because we were boiling. There were rumors of the end of triple digit days, but they were FALSE rumors! 
The pool, however, has cooled down recently and has not recovered, even with a couple of 100+ days. I remember our first summer here. We eagerly awaited the water temperature to go over 70. It was bearable at 72, nice at 76, and heaven at 78. People kept telling me to wait until it got over 90 and I wouldn't even want to be in it. Bah, I say! It was 94 at the peak this summer. Deee-lightful!
 
So when I dipped my toes in the 84 degree water, I was chilled. Submerging my whole body was downright frosty! That's the world I live in now. One in which 84 degrees is cold. We need to replace our worn out pool cover if we are going to be able to swim into October!
 
When we got out of the pool, I checked the videos of Lucy's race...she's been chasing one girl in particular and closed to within 7 seconds of her today. She is also rapidly approaching the 18 minute barrier. Both 18 minutes and Summer Harper are in danger of being surpassed by Miss Lucy!
Lucy is 2nd from the right on the 2nd row
4th place finish, 18:17 5k
 
I'm a proud aunt.

No comments: