Thursday, September 6, 2012

"Sick" Day

Nicco really does enjoy school, so it baffles me that he wants to stay home every time he has the smallest symptom of illness. (Like a scratchy throat or dry eyes first thing in the morning...um, hello, that's every day!)
 
Yesterday morning he complained about a headache and I told him to drink some water and eat his breakfast and he would feel better. When I picked him up from school he told me that his head still hurt "and I ate every bite!" He went on to say that every time he jumped at P.E. his head hurt. (bad mom!) When we got home he was pink-cheeked and puny looking so I took his temperature and sure enough, he had a small fever. I gave him a tylenol and relegated him to the couch for the evening.
 
That was pure torture because he discovered these awesome pool floaties at his buddy's house and I picked them up for him on sale at Wal-mart while he was at school. The tylenol kicked in and he insisted that he was all better. In reality it was just the floating airplane calling his name from the back yard. I caved and let my slightly sick boy play in the pool, THEN relegated him to the couch for the rest of the evening. His fever got a little higher before bed so after chicken soup and more tylenol, the boy went to bed and I told him he couldn't go to school the next day. Glee! Rapture!
 
I quickly reminded him that boys who are too sick for school are too sick for play. I gave him a list of things we would be able to do on his sick day--read stories, practice French, sleep, play cards.
 
Wii, i-pad, and the pool were glaringly absent from the list.
 
I kind of knew that he would be all better by morning so I prepared for Nicco's at home school day. 
He added breaks, (brack) lunch, and recess to the list.

I did let him play wii-fit as part of his P.E. report. He was so happy.
We did some research on his favorite composer, Mozart, for his music report. It's funny...whenever you ask him what his favorite music is, he invariably responds "Mozart."
 
 
This is the video part of his music presentation, which I will e-mail to his teacher when he turns in his report:
He loved marking off the boxes on the list and felt very pleased and proud of himself for all the things he got done.
 
I was pleased and proud too. Of myself!
 
It is now an established fact that sick-days are school days too.

No comments: