Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Shameless Plug: Oro Valley Eye Care

A month or so before the end of the year, Nicco's school had optometrists come in and screen the kiddos for potential vision problems. Considering his genes, I was not optimistic about Nicco's chances of coming out of the screening without potential vision problems.

When I had my own exam, the doctor said that since Patrice is far sighted and I am near sighted, maybe Nicco's genes will cancel out and he'll be fine. But sure enough, a week or so after the screening we got a note sent home from school saying that Nicco could probably use a more thorough exam. (What, more thorough than the 5 minute training session the screeners had before being bombarded with rambunctious 5 and 6 year olds? Nah...)

I took Nicco to see Dr. Mitchell of Oro Valley Eye care (full disclosure, he's a friend.) Dr. Mitchell and his staff were absolutely fantastic with my boy. He was nervous and discouraged and very much in the anti-glasses camp. We were a little early so I had Nicco try on frames for fun, overplaying my enthusiasm. After a while he decided glasses might not be so bad.

Then one of the assistants pointed out the other wall, the one with all the fun colors. Nicco chose bright orange frames. I tried to gently convince him of the coolness of some other frames, but the boy was hooked on orange. Fine, I told myself. If orange frames will encourage him to wear his corrective lenses, orange frames it is.



Dr. Mitchell took Nicco back to the exam room and made him feel very much at ease and encouraged at the prospects of seeing better. By the time we left, Nicco was asking how long it would be before he got his new glasses. When the daddy got home from work, Nicco told him all about the  appointment and the awesome orange frames he liked. Patrice looked at me and said, "I never want my boy to think he can't be different." I agreed, and thought once more, orange frames it is.

Patrice stole the boy away that evening for a boys' night out, stopping by the eye doctor to check out the frames. When they got home, I was informed that they ordered Nicco's glasses. I asked if they were the orange ones. No way! Patrice said. Nicco can be different, but he can't look...retarded! (We're totally P.C. in my family.) So instead of the orange frames with the adjustable ear-hooky-things (it's a technical term), they chose cool blue Nike frames.

We picked them up today. They were presented to Nicco on a silver platter with his special box, cleaning cloths and cleaning solution, and a gift card to a local restaurant.
Nicco put them on and looked around and pointed out all the lines he could see on the mountains and trees.
I realize I'm advertising to a very limited audience here in AZ,  but spread the word... (I'm talking to you, Crystal!) for pediatric eye care (or grown-up eye care for that matter), you can't do better than Dr. Mitchell of Oro Valley Eye Care.

Their motto is true: "We care. You'll see." 

9 comments:

Susanna said...

Nice blog, love it!! Nicco is soo adorable! Happy summer! :)

xoxo
Susanna
http://susanna-behindmyeyes.blogspot.com

Danae said...

He looks great in his Nike glasses! He is young for that but I guess he has genetics to blame for that. I count every year we go without someone else needing eye help a blessing. Mads just went in for new contacts and his eyes are as bad now as Matt's are and Madsen still has 6-8 good years of deteriorating to go. At least Madsen didn't need braces! I am pretty sure the other 2 boys will and I am sure it is just a matter of time with the eyes.

Tam said...

Nae, he is young for it. I thought he would make it another couple years. I was so sad watching him struggle during his eye exam, but I am in fact grateful that there are ways to correct vision. And, I'm really grateful that poor vision is his health problem. So thankful for my boy's good health!

Tam said...

Susanna, thanks for the compliments and the well wishes.

I confess, it freaks me out a little when people I don't know comment on my blog...I'm slightly paranoid about the interwebs. Just curious, how did you come across me?

Tam said...

P.S. I know that having a public blog is contrary to being paranoid about the interwebs, but I have no choice. It's for the international part of the family. So I venture boldly into the WWW and I'm glad that it is a polite and friendly stranger I encountered, instead of a creepy stalker. Please tell me you're not a creepy stalker!

Danae said...

there are definitely worse health problems then bad eyes. And, I figure we all just expect it, kind of like grey hair.

Tam said...

No, it's not really a surprise. And, as health issues go, I'll take near-sighted for sure. Sick kids make me so sad and I think their parents are brave and strong.

Crystal Pistol said...

HAHAHA! You said my name! I'm FAMOUS!! :)

Okay. Got it. Dr. Mitchell. Oro Valley. Eyeballs. Orange frames.

I happen to think the orange frames were great. Not retarded. (Our fam says retarded also, cuz we are pc like you.)

Nicco looks so cute in his respectable blue frames. :)

Tam said...

Yes--you are famous in the World of Tam. Everyone I know now knows you! This is approximately 7 people.