I filled out my 2010 census today. I'm torn on how I feel about the census. On the one hand, it is important relating to congressional district/representation. On the other hand, doesn't the IRS pretty much know who everyone in every (tax-paying) household is? And by the way, if you aren't paying taxes, you shouldn't get representation. Also, the census is a head count. Legitimate census info includes number and age of people in the household.
I'm not really bothered by the gender question, or the race question in general. On the other hand, distinguishing hispanic races and actually stating that "for this census, hispanic origins are not races" did bother me quite a bit. Also, breaking hispanic races, black races, and asian races into special categories (What, pray tell, is the difference between black, african am, and negro? It must be a black thang that I just don't understand. Okay, fine...then why aren't whites distinguished among white, white am, and perhaps European white? Seriously...Irish white is definitely not the same as Scandinavian white.)
Also, financial information doesn't qualify as head count details. Whether we own via mortgage, free and clear, rent or squat (really--occupy without payment or rent????) isn't a detail I feel like sharing with the census bureau.
Also, a head count doesn't require names.
Also, a head count doesn't require a phone number.
My passive aggressive rebellious statement in the form of the census states that:
- Persons 1, 2, and 3 reside in our home.
- Persons 1 and 3 are males, Person 2 is female.
- Persons 1,2, and 3 are French American and Danish/Swedish/English American.
- Persons 1,2, and 3 will not divulge financial information, nor will they provide a phone number. If the census bureau "doesn't understand an answer" on our form, instead of calling for clarification, they can just understand by our omission of the phone number that we think they are morons.
TAKE THAT!
3 comments:
I had those same thoughts as I filled it out.
Carol Bowie just wrote "American" on the "other" slot for race. I'm glad Tamara is so good at expressing my opinion for me!
You're tough! Take that, Government. Hee hee.
Post a Comment