Both Grandpa and Nicco had the Air Force Museum on their list of things to do this visit. I checked the hours and rates and information about shuttles to the Air Force Base too, and figured that we could get over there and spend about an hour at the museum and an hour on the base tour and be home in time for a bit of a late lunch. The best laid plans, right? Everything is busier in the early spring than the late summer. We arrived around 12:30, but the earliest bus tour available wasn't until 3:00. Also, I forgot that you must have a government issued I.D. to go onto the base. Mom didn't have hers, so that was a bummer. We debated for a little while about the best approach to the day. I was a little bit anxious about Nicco's tolerance level for about 4 hours at the museum. I need not have worried. Airplanes, after all. So we did wander about the museum for a couple of hours together before Dad and I left Grandma behind with Nicco while we toured the Boneyard at the base.


Here, Nicco is explaining the airplane engines are really really heavy and he can't even pick this one up.

He quickly worked his way to his favorite part of the museum, the buttons.

More buttons. We played pilot for a good long time.

Nicco is listening to the sonic booms from the Blackbird.


Last time we were here, we didn't go into the Space Gallery. This time we did and joy of joys, dirt! Digging! That was almost as much fun as the buttons! Only it was new! More fun!

The pleasant and kind little old volunteer Vet showed Nicco his secret stash of moon rocks and minerals.

Nicco the astronaut

Nicco on the moon!

Nicco's favorite plane, the Blue Angel

His other favorite, the big and huge plane that looks like a whale.
Even though our excursion was much longer than we anticipated, we still enjoyed the visit. The Air Force pilots were getting ready for an upcoming air show, so watching them practice their patterns and formations was an added bonus.
No comments:
Post a Comment