All that to say I'm glad I discovered Pooh with my boy.
I love that the first thing Piglet says to himself each day is "I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?"
I love Pooh's philosophy on writing poetry:
But whatever his weight in pounds,
shillings, and ounces,
He always seems bigger
because of his bounces.
"And that's the whole poem," he said. "Do you like it, Piglet?"
"All except the shillings," said Piglet. "I don't think they ought to be there."
"They wanted to come in after the pounds," explained Pooh, "so I let them come in. It is the best way to write poetry, letting things come."
And I love Pooh's absent mindedness...
"Pooh was so busy not looking where he was going that he stepped on a piece of the forest which had been left out by mistake (hee hee hee) and he only just had time to think to himself "I'm flying. What Owl does."
That last one made me giggle as I read. When I started to giggle, my boy giggled too. When he giggled, I giggled more. Then he snort-giggled and we just couldn't stop.
That's what I love most about Pooh.
2 comments:
I still love Pooh. I think I have read all the stories to most of my kids. I need to read them again with Cannon and Waverly. Still on my favorites list. I did not know you did not read them when we were very young :) I have my original books Mom bought from BYU Bookstore and a Deluxe Edition she bought for me for Christmas one year not too long ago.
I never read them when I was very young, not even when I was six. My only memories and impressions of Pooh from my childhood are the mostly annoying modern animations that don't quite capture the charm of Pooh and friends.
I tell you what though, I would not trade a childhood of Pooh memories for the giggle fests I mentioned!
Post a Comment