Nicco has five "specials" classes outside of the regular core classes: Art, Music, P.E., Computer Lab, and Library. The music and P.E. teachers sent home grading system and requirements for their classes, saying that by showing up and participating appropriately every day the kids will earn a 3 on a grading scale of 1-4. To get a 3.5 or 4, they need to do a little extra work. Four outside assignments each quarter. No big deal, I think. A totally reasonable expectation.
Yesterday while we were gathering and chatting as we waited for our kiddos to come through the gate, one of the other moms asked me how Nicco is doing. I said he's doing great, he's happy and he really likes his teacher and he's already started working on his extra music and P.E. assignments. She said she has a problem with that. She thinks that kids should be able to get everything done that they need to do while they are in class. I reminded her that they can. The extra assignments are not required for passing the classes with a respectable grade. But to get the best grade, they have to put in a little extra effort. I don't just approve, I applaud that notion. You should not get a trophy, reward, the highest grade, for merely showing up. Period.
Then she said, "but with three kids in school it just gets really hard for me to keep track of." Aha. I see.
Instead of making a snarky comment about having already gone through first grade myself I'm just going to go ahead and have Nicco do his own work, I reminded her that if she examines the activities her family already does she will probably find that many of their activities meet the extra requirements. All the kids need to do is document them and turn them in.
I just hate the idea that showing up is enough to get the highest recognition. I hate rewarding expected behavior. Rewards and highest honors are for excellent work, not meeting minimum requirements. And, I think it is good to instill ambition and work ethic and striving for excellence as early as 1st grade.
Also, Nicco has his first spelling test today. He brought home his word list on Monday. The words he must know are the, of, to, me, a, and, & red. They also have four challenge words: friends, nice, help, and didn't. (He spells "didn't" D-I-D-N-popostraphe-T.) We reviewed each night this week. He had no problem with the sight words, but consistently spelled friends and help wrong up until yesterday. Last night he said, "The big test is tomorrow! I hope I get 100%."
Mrs. G. expects the kids to spell the sight words correctly. The challenge words are intended to be a challenge and she only expects them to do their best. If they get the beginning and ending letters right, that is appropriate for them at this stage. I know Nicco will get 100% on the sight words. I'm pretty confident he will get 100% on the challenge words too. If he does, guess what--I will reward him for doing extra work and going beyond the minimum expectation. And if he does not, I will encourage him to work harder next time.
No participation award for you!
Peace will find a way
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment