Sunday, August 5, 2012

Random Ruminations

Elizabeth was Nicco's first house guest. He prepared snacks and drinks and set comfy pillows on the floor. 
 They played Skipbo
 And they played school. They were teaching their students about different modes of transportation. biycl, car, plan. Cute.

They told me they had 200 students.

Nicco also learned how to connect with his cousins to play Mario Kart on the wii.
He played with Lucy and Duncan first. He was so excited to win! Again! And again! I was a little suspicious. I thought to myself, either those cousins haven't played in a really, really long time, or they are being very kind to him. I asked Diana if they were letting him win, and she in turn asked Lucy. Lucy just smiled. What nice big cousins he has.

Later, he wanted to play again but Lucy and Duncan were not available. I called my other sister and she allowed her boys to play with mine. They did the same thing, but under instruction from their mama to at least let him be competitive. They even let him win once or twice.

Then all three families hooked up together. They played several different kinds of games, one in which he was on a team with Lucy. Lucy was definitely handicapped with Nicco on her team, and the others didn't hold back for her.

I think that they were all good sports and had some fun. I hope they know they made their little cousin's day.
He L-O-V-E-D playing with them.

My weird little kid likes to nest. He is comfy all surrounded by pillows and blankets and toys. He made this particular nest for his Peeps.

We also spent a day at the local water park last week. I've heard bad things about it. I've heard it is over-priced and run-down and it is a game of chance whether all the rides will even be working on any given day. Considering all the negative press, I was pretty pleased with the park itself.  Nicco had a blast and has been begging to go back. We probably will. Next year.


 And again, with the nesting.
We have really enjoyed our new patch of grass the past few days. It's always shady and gets a nice little breeze.  Even with the shade and the breeze 100+ degrees is hot. And yet, my boy can't resist burrowing under pillows and blankets and stuffed buddies.

I told him he's a weirdo for making a blanket of pillows in 100 degrees. He said, "I'm a kid. What did you expect?"

And finally, we had a crazy storm roll in and roll back out. Apparently it wreaked havoc on some parts of town. This is the second monsoon that has caused a lot of damage with downed power lines and lost power. We had a great view of the storm without getting any of the damage.
The wall of rain was wrapped up in a rainbow. I don't think I will ever get used to the awesome power of the monsoons.

Nicco starts first grade next week. We meet his new teacher on Wednesday, and we are having a kindergarten reunion picnic on Saturday with his old teacher and classmates. I'm excited for him and feeling a little sad that our summer is almost over. A little mama-sentimentality overcoming me again.

Although, it could just be the P&G "sponsor of moms" commercials on the olympics. They kind of make me cry a little.

No comments: