The kids had two weeks to complete a research project and prepare for an oral presentation in front of the class. There were five steps in the assignment:
1. Find a bug and bring it to class.
2. Label and draw a detailed picture of the bug.
3. Research the bug.
4. Write 5 facts about the bug.
5. Present the research in class.
After a couple of unsuccessful bug hunts, Nicco resigned himself to learning about a bug on the internet. He chose the Australia Jewel Beetle. But then the cat sneaked out onto the patio one night and caught a bug! Hooray! Frankie to the rescue! We captured the bug and brought it inside. It was a cockroach. It was gross.
Nicco brought it to school the next day and thought he was done. When I told him he needed to draw a picture and write five sentences, he said "too late, I already brought my bug in." I reassured him that he could research the bug without it being in the house.
With just a little hemming and hawing, he drew a great picture of his cockroach, including the spiky hairs on its legs. With some drama and stubbornness (wha???) he wrote five facts:
1. Boy cockroaches are skinnier than girl cockroaches. ("Ha ha, girls are fat!")
2. Cockroaches live all over the earth.
3. Cockroaches come out at night.
4. Cockroaches are scavengers.
5. Cockroaches eat anything, even poop.
Here he is, presenting his drawing to the class.
And here he is, reading his facts.
I asked him if the kids laughed when he said the last fact about eating poop. He said, "No, they were like 'eww!' Next year I won't talk about poop. I don't want that to happen again."
4 comments:
He is ALL boy, isn't he? I love the pics of him. He's a handsome lil guy.
Roaches are DUSGUSTING!!!! The veyr thought makes me shiver. EWW!
Oh my, this made me laugh. He reminds me so much of Cannon!
Crystal, I was VERY glad that the cat found the roach outside. ~shiver~ And yes, when he isn't collecting fancy plastic rings from the treasure box at school, he's all boy. ;)
Nae, he is a funny little dude. Just like Cannon!
Post a Comment