Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Bloomin' Desert

The cacti and flowers are popping now.

This is the cat's claw climbing on our back and side walls. I've never seen it bloom like this before!

And here is our hedgehog cactus in bloom:

Ocotillo are one of my very favorites once they bloom. And, this is the first time the desert spoon grew the giant stalk in the middle. All I can think of is how that will affect my allergies once it is in full blossom. Ugh.

The jasmine have not popped out yet and we had the giant bush trimmed yesterday, so hopefully the allergens will be minimized.

Also, I accidentally scared our mama quail from her annual nest. Boo! I've seen our pair bobbing along lately and I knew they were nesting somewhere, but I hoped not to discover their nest so as to NOT scare them away and abandon the eggs as they've done in the past. That mama fluttered and her wings and puffed her chest and screamed and sqawked at me. I moved away quickly so she could see that she "scared" me away. I kind of don't want to take my trash out to the curb until those babies hatch safely! I don't think I can hold out that long though. Even if I could, I'm sure my husband would intervene.

No comments: