Thursday, March 8, 2012

Act of Valor and Pete the Cat

A few nights ago my phone rang at 9:30 p.m. Nobody calls our house at 9:30 p.m. unless it is something of an emergency, or unless there is an especially juicy story that must be told, or unless one (or more) husband is out of town and a sister is up alone with young ones in bed, needing another sister to talk to.

The number on the caller ID was an 800 number. I silently warned the party on the other end of the line to prepare for the wrath of Tam. I answered the phone with a poison laced hello and the party on the other end asked if she was speaking to Tam-air-a. If you pronounce my name Tam-air-a, then you probably should not be calling me. Especially at 9:30 p.m. I reminded her with acid in my tone that she was calling my house at 9:30 p.m. She apologized for the late hour and said she was from Neilson (the ratings company) and they were just trying to finish up a survey in my area and how often do I go to the movies?

I not so politely informed her that we almost never go to the movies because it's all communist crap.
Do they have a box for that? my Dad wondered.

So, when there is a movie that is NOT communist crap, I eagerly attend. I like to be entertained, not insulted. Act of Valor is not communist crap. It was All-American Bad-Assery on full display, covert and overt, for two hours. Awesome. From what I've seen and read, All-American Bad Asses love it. Apparently, All-Americans love it, bad asses or not. Commie sympathizers and America haters hated it.

Here's the thing. (I'm talking to you, hollywood commies.) Americans like to see their heroes portrayed as heroes. Americans like to see their values and honor protected and defended and respected. Especially by Bad Asses. When do you think Hollywood will figure out that traditional values and American exceptionalism bring money to the box office? My guess is probably never. But I suppose that is okay, since capitalism is evil and rich people are evil, according the the commie hypocrites who permeate the movie and entertainment industry.

Anyway, I loved the bad acting of the Bad Asses in Act of Valor. Know why it was bad acting? The actors weren't actors. They were real live active duty Navy SEALs. Know why? There are no limp wristed hollywood commies who can do the things the Bad Ass SEALs can do. Only SEALs can.
If you love America, go see this movie.

In other news, we have a new favorite at our house. His name is Pete the Cat. Nicco found Pete at the book fair at his school on Tuesday. Pete is groovy and cool, and no matter what he steps in, he keeps walking along, singing his song because it's all good.

Pete the Cat is a simple story with kind of awesome artwork. It made my boy smile, and almost anything that makes my boy smile makes me smile. He read the book with me, he read it with his grandma. He went online and listened to the author read the story and sing the song. Nicco read the story again, this time mimicking Mr. Eric's tone and cadence. Mr. Eric is jazzy, hip, and soulful, so it is amusing to see my boy copying that style. And I love it.

Ever since, Nicco and I can't help ourselves. We walk along singing our song too.
If you don't have kids, buy or borrow Pete the Cat. Entertain your inner child. If you love your kids, borrow or buy Pete the Cat. If you don't love your kids, buy or borrow Pete the Cat. They'll start walking along, singing their song, and you will love them.

No comments: