Friday, September 23, 2011

A New Step

Nicco is a good reader and he has shocked and surprised me with some of his math skills. He loves school, he loves learning. He's curious and creative. He's always been extremely stubborn when it comes to writing. I've learned not to push him and I don't compare him and his skills to other kids his age, but I do confess a teeny tinge of envy when Danielle gave Nicco the little book she wrote, "Boy, Dog, Grl." I've been anxiously anticipating the day he would start writing sentences and stories to express himself.

This afternoon when Patrice got home, Nicco sat down with his special book (thanks again, G&G!) and wrote a whole sentence. I can't remember what it was, but it made me very happy. I told him I was so happy and proud, so he spent the rest of the evening writing sentences. He wrote a note that said "I want to go in the pool when dad gets home" and another one that said "You need to do laundry in 10 minutes mom." Then he wrote his morning message:
"Dear class good morning today is Friday we are going to have a great day I love you mom good job"
He is suddenly making his Ss and Gs (would that be "esses and gees"?) backwards. I know it is a typical phase in writing and he will correct it soon on his own. I also know how he reacts when I correct him. I'll let it go.

Mrs. Cornwell made a little vacation journal for him with the instructions "Try to draw every day." We talked about what "vacation journal" means and that Mrs. Cornwell wants him to draw pictures of the things he sees and does on our trip. I asked what we will be doing on our first day and he spread his arms like wings. I said he could draw an airplane for our first day of vacation. He did, and he even wrote "airplane first day of vacation." So cute. I'm just so pleased and proud to see him writing sentences!
He was also pleased and proud and very happy ("hape") that I was so happy with his work, so he wrote another expressive note:

Oh my goodness, I'm giddy over this new step!

"Hape," even.

No comments: