Friday, March 18, 2011

And So It Begins

Spring time. We have little white balls that will soon be blossoms popping up on the orange and grapefruit trees. Sadly, the lemon tree needs major surgery to survive, so says our landscape friend. We are lucky, apparently, because when citrus trees are in nurseries they are frequently grafted with lemon trees. So people get upset if their orange tree dies in a freeze and they have to cut it down to a stump and when it grows back, it produces lemons. I guess if our lemon tree grows back, it will still produce lemons.

It is also that little window of beautiful weather when it's not too chilly and not too hot to have the windows and patio doors open. Which means bugs. The other day, a little flying bug came in and made itself at home in our lampshade. Frankie went out of her mind crazy trying to climb the narrow pole of the lamp to get to it. Another day, there was a little flying bug buzzing around above the cabinets in the kitchen, which also made her totally nutso. She leaped from the island (bad kitty, she's not supposed to go up on the island!) to the top of the fridge. Even though it was naughty, it was a pretty impressive leap. She has a good eye for bugs, which leads me to believe she will be a mighty huntress of scorpions.

I got up early-ish this morning and while my two boys were still sleeping, I took out the trash and finished up the dishes that were left soaking in the sink. The dishwasher was open as I was arranging and rearranging, trying to fit the last couple of dishes inside. Suddenly, a startled Frankie jumped and bonked her head on the door of the dishwasher and I felt a tickle on my foot. I looked down and there was her prey, a nasty little scorpion on my foot. I jumped and squealed but managed to get a big shoe to squish it in spite of my panic. Frankie spent several minutes carefully circling the spot where it died, and several minutes licking her paw. I think it may have stung her.  If it did, it either wasn't a bad sting, or cats are immune after all. She's a little cautious and defensive this morning, but showing no other signs of poisoning or swelling in reaction to the sting.

So, a few things. One, she DID spot the scorpion and possibly saved me from getting stung on my toe, doing dishes, unaware of its presence. Two, she tossed the little bugger right onto my foot! Three, she may not have come out of her first scorpion encounter unscathed. The way she was circling it and keeping her distance after I killed it makes me think she learned to stay away from them. Darn. I guess we'll see. In any case, it's time to get the exterminator back.

4 comments:

Danae said...

yikes! I would have freaked out over that little incident. Poor lemon tree, would it be easier to just buy a new one? And poor Frankie, I hope she gets her cat-sparkle back and will become the mighty scorpion hunter. Does she still have claws?

Tam said...

She does still have claws...she was on her very last chance, climbing and scratching the furniture and all. I told Patrice that I was ready to take her in (I admit, I wanted to wait to see how she dealt with the scorpions before taking out her weapons.) He told me to get her a scratching post before taking her in for surgery. I did, and she actually uses it and has stopped scratching the furniture. She can keep her claws for now. My next claw issue relates to the kid. I don't mind her retaliating, but I don't want the little man to be covered in cat scratch scars, especially on his face. That wouldn't be a problem if he wouldn't smoosh his face in her fur and rub her all over with his face. Weirdo.

Also, it may be easier to plant a new lemon tree, but this one has a nicely established root system, and I've been told that with all the critters who live underground out here, new tender roots are very vulnerable to attack. That is one reason why you can't garden out here. I think it will grow back relatively quickly.

Alayne said...

I do not like the scorpion situation on bit! What happens if you get stung? I remember thinking I would die when I saw them at my friends house in Rock Springs.
I hope your sweet kitty gets vengeance on those nasty little critters. Keep us posted!

Tam said...

Alayne, I've heard everything from "it only hurts the first time" to "YOU WILL DIE!!!" regarding scorpions. I've done some research and apparently, there is only one deadly scorpion, the Arizona Bark Scorpion, which of course is found mostly in southern Arizona. Also apparently, the smaller they are, the nastier they are. From what I understand, it's similar to a non-lethal spider bite or a bee sting in healthy grown ups. You might get increased breathing and heart rates, muscle spasms and weakness, but they say most adults don't need medical attention. But in kids, it could cause numbness, muscle spasms, googly-eyes, drooling, and sweating and they say to get immediate attention regardless of the severity. I think I would get medical attention for anyone in my house. Ucky.