Sunday, March 13, 2011

Signs of Spring

Yesterday, Spring Fever struck our house. Nicco and I saw a quail pair bobbing along a wall on our way home from the grocery store. I pointed them out and said "The Quails are out, it must be spring!" Nicco got excited for the fresh new season, so we went on a "Signs of Spring" walk around the yard.
This is the sadness in our yard, leftover from our winter freeze:
I am not yet convinced that our little lemon tree will survive. I plan to nurture it with loving care, but I'm not known for my green thumb.
The organ pipe cactus died a little. Apparently, we can just chop off the frozen dead part and it will regenerate.
We did discover some signs of spring in the midst of the winter sadness and death:
Green stalks in the center of the palms,
Fresh, green baby leaves on the other two citrus trees,
Green poking through the limbs of the ocotillo, and even some little green leaves,
One blossom!
I raked up a couple piles of dead leaves. Other than picking weeds and skimming the pool, this is the first actual yard work I've ever done. I hope my husband is proud of me!
This is what the boy did while I raked leaves. Lounging on the hammock isn't necessarily a sign of spring, just ask Papi!
And, little miss Frankie stared longingly out the window, wishing she could join us in the fresh air.

No comments: