Monday, September 14, 2009

Mount Lemmon

It is nice to have Patrice's weekends on Sunday and Monday. Since Nicco and I don't have school on Mondays, we can make that our adventuring day and avoid weekend crowds. Today we took a drive up into the mountains. It gets up to about 8,000 feet in elevation and cools down by about 30 degrees.
Here is one of the scenic views of the mountains and the valley.
The pretty forest. When we arrived, Nicco said "It looks like Grandma and Grandpa's neighborhood up here!"
We had a little picnic, but it was *cold!* We made fun of ourselves for having acclimated to Tucson already, to the point that 70 degrees feels slightly chilly. In our defense, we were in the shade and there was a slight breeze. Nicco was more than slightly chilled...he was "so cold!" so we pulled out a blanket for him. He loved our picnic basket with its colorful utensils. His daddy was nice enough to share, so that Nicco could fill in all the spaces in his utensil line. We also threw bread crumbs and apples to the little chipmunks running around. Nicco was thrilled and amused watching them approach the morsels we dropped for them.

We walked down by the river bed. Nicco was timid at first, but like most kids and most things, with just a little time and practice, he was climbing around like a mountain goat.

Crossing a "tree bridge"
Hustling up the rock wall with his daddy.

They made it! (That was close...according to Nicco.)


Walking around the river bottom. We had a fun adventure today. Our toes only got a little bit muddy and wet, but as Nicco said, you know what happens with wet toes. They dry.

2 comments:

Di said...

Now I know that Patrice has Mondays off so I won't harrass on those days, like I tried to today. I'm glad that you were off having an adventure rather than ignoring me or a victim of foul play as I was imagining when you didn't instantly return my calls and e-mails. Looks like a fun day!

fiest = the band that sings "1,2,3,4 . . . " of course. Or you could say "Diana is full of fiest." Not.

Di said...

p.s. you could have been a victim of a rattlesnake bite. That was my other imagining.