Monday, September 28, 2009

Monday Movie Madness

For our Monday fun, we took Nicco to the movie theater for the first time. I can't remember the last movie I saw in a theater...hmm...might have been Borat. That would explain why I have not gone back. Actually, I think it was the most recent Bond movie. Yep, that is it. Also a disappointment, but Daniel Craig is worth the price of admission. (We had free passes that day.)

I have some problems with movies in general, and taking my kid to movies specifically. Considering the size of our television, the surround sound system, HD quality, and the comfort of our couches compared even to the squishy rocky chairs most theaters have these days, I just don't see the point of leaving my house for a movie. When you throw in the "subliminal" messages thrown at us from hollywood, not to mention the level of crap spewn from the left coast, I am morally opposed to spending money on movies in the theater. I was apprehensive to take Nicco to a movie theater because he has super-hyper-sonic hearing and I thought the noise would be too much for him. Although he has clearly demonstrated the ability to sit in front of a show for its entire length, often for repeated viewings, I was not sure how he would manage sitting in the theater for a whole show. Even with all my misgivings, we went ahead and took the kid to see "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" today.

Let me just say: Cute! Cute cute cute. Cute. All about nerds. And food falling from the sky. No more grocery shopping, cooking, or cleaning. Wait...I don't do that anyway. Regardless, who wouldn't want a delicious mega-cheeseburger to land on your plate with no personal effort whatsover?

The time we selected to go to the show was for the 3-D theater. Another down side to taking Nicco to the theater. The glasses were a little bit big for his head.

We got a screaming deal on snacks. All we had to do was add $3 to one ticket and get $4 off concessions! $4 off? Wahoo! Oh, wait. We paid $3 for the $4 discount...I suppose they could have just given us a $1 coupon. But $4 sounds so much better!
We walked into the theater in the middle of the previews. (Where the Wild Things Are appears to actually maybe possibly be a good reason to spend $500 on another theater experience. I cry at the commercials. I know. WHAT???) As we walked along the aisle, Nicco said "Mommy, this music is WAY too loud." Excellent. We took out a loan to get tickets, and he's already miserable. Then the glasses issue. Too big for a small head. Watching a 3-D movie without 3-D glasses makes your eyes all googly. Lose-lose for Nicco. Super. About 15 minutes before the show was over, Nicco was curled up on my lap begging to go home. Awesome! A total failure! (Aside from the cute nerdiness of the movie and the giant awesomeness of the Wild Things trailer, neither of which Nicco fully appreciated.)
Then, the movie ended. Nicco did not stand up. He watched the credits roll to a hip and catchy version of "Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows" as we urged him up out of his seat and down the aisle. Walking sideways so he could keep his eyes on the screen, Nicco said to me "Mommy, THAT was cool." And when we got in the car he said "I had fun. Can we watch that movie again?"
Success! Movie magic strikes! Now I have to work extra hours to pay for future theater outings.

No comments: