Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving

There are so many things to be thankful for in our little corner of the world. Last week at school we went around our circle and asked the kiddos what they are thankful for (after discussing what it means to be thankful and giving some examples and reading a story, of course) and one of my girls said "nothing." It didn't really surprise me coming from this particular child, but I told her that she has so much to be thankful for whether she knows it or not and she really ought to start thinking about it. The fact that we have a home, family, food, transportation, school, friends, etc...She finally confessed that she was thankful for her parents because they are always nice to her. That is true too...spoiled little thing that she is. I was impressed by one of my boys who said he is thankful for the military because they protect the United States. Yes, a direct quote from a 4-year-old. There were some other good ones, but those two stuck out to me. Personally, I can't even begin my list of things I am thankful for, but my family is at the very top. We are so lucky to be close to my parents and to have them be part of our lives. I am thankful that my friendship with my sisters spans the miles between us. I am also thankful for unlimited long distance. I am thankful that all my cousins and aunts and uncles remain close and that we all keep in touch regularly. Last but certainly not least, I am thankful for my two boys.They don't look anything alike, do they? Love you all! Happy Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

Di said...

Good post, we certainly have lots to be thankful and I am very aware of that each and every day. And of course, family tops it. I was especially aware of that this Thanksgiving while my kids were having a great time playing with my Aunt and Uncle, my cousins and my cousin's child. It is so great to have so many people to care about you!

Danae said...

We are certainly a blessed group of people. Our family is pretty amazing. I am more amazed by mom and dad every day when I think of the great life they gave us and the continued support and love. What a great start to life! I think our sister relationship is a little rare in this world too. I have not had too hard of a time being so far away from the family, but I sure would have loved to be by someone last week. I think the windows of heaven have been opened up for all of us!

Sheila said...

I have thought for a long time how we have lived a pretty charmed life. How blessed we are on so many different levels!