Friday, October 19, 2012

One More Trip to the Beach

My boy L-O-V-E-D the beach. He's like a little sea turtle, drawn to the ocean. It's a magnet. We had two days left and Bob needed/wanted to visit another town for a cigar run. We all thought it would be interesting and educational to see the process that goes into making a cigar, so we just had to decide which day to go to the beach and which day to go to the cigar factory. Nicco voted for the beach first.
 
It was funny walking along the sandwalk. I would call it a boardwalk, but there were no boards. Lots of people said the beach was no good today, the waves are too rough. There was a tropical storm passing by roughly a couple hundred miles away which really churned up the ocean. That did not deter my boy in the least. Quite the opposite, in fact. 
 
He ran down to the shore and jumped right in.
 He sat down and waited to be washed away in the waves.
 He got washed away in the waves.
He ran up to get me. The second most frequently uttered sound after Nicco's squeals and giggles was "Come on, Mom!"
He made up a game where I was something like a pier and he would hold onto my legs as long as he could as the waves crashed and tossed him about. We both got knocked down more than once.
The Daddy and I had to tag-team each other. Neither one of us has quite the energy or endurance of our nearly seven year old boy.
This picture of the boats shows the choppy ocean. The other day when we were at this beach the waves on the shore were pretty gentle and there was no surf beyond the shore.
A funny thing about the "bad day" to go to the beach...it was the most crowded day. I guess Nicco wasn't the only one undeterred by the weather. Here's a guy selling fruit among the tourists.
Lunch break...the "boardwalk" across from the Hungry Viking. It's a new tradition. One I'll be happy to continue in the future.
After lunch it was the Daddy's turn in the water. You can really see how choppy the ocean is in this picture. All my people made it into the water after lunch, in spite of the twenty minutes after eating rule.
 Crash and smash! Good times, I tell ya.
I told Nicco that he can tell his friends he knows what it would be like to be laundry after being rolled and tossed in the waves on this visit.

No comments: