Tuesday, August 30, 2011

This and That

This is what you get in Arizona with an abnormally wet monsoon season:
a second spring! I have never seen blooms on this cactus before, and some cacti are blooming AGAIN!

Patrice bought an electronic tablet mainly to entertain the kid on the airplanes and in airports when we go to France. This is what he (the kid) did yesterday:
He drew a cherry tree! I cannot tell a lie, (hee hee hee, aren't I clever?)  I L-O-V-E it! It is his first picture that is not a person. At home anyway. In his art class last week he did a pencil drawing of a dog on a surfboard at the beach. I may eventually trace his pencil lines with black marker to make the drawing visible. It is quite adorable. I love kid art. It is on my top 100 list of favorite things. Or maybe the top 100 things that make me smile.

Growing up, my mom said "Be Happy, Friendly, Kind and True" to us every day when we left the house to go to school. When we left home, all correspondence ended with the abbreviation (Be H, F, K & T) of what had become known as "The Law." Over the years, there have been addenda to The Law, such as do good on all your tests, stay away from boys, eat your peas, and nerds are nice. I think that each of my sisters and I have adopted The Law in our own families. Now that Nicco is in school, I leave him with my mom's words of wisdom and my own addendum "Be brave, be strong."

That is all. For now.

10 comments:

Mom and Dad said...

That is an apt addendum to the Law for a boy growing up.

Mom and Dad said...

Oh, and I love the cherry tree, too. And I totally agree about kid art. I remember Rhonda Kropf once sort of making fun of the kid art I had on the refrigerator and in the window sill. I tried not to exactly lecutre her when I explained all the reasons for appreciating and displaying kid art! I still have a couple of things that some of the grandkids have done for us. I'll give them back to them someday.

Mom and Dad said...

lecture, not lecutre. That must be French for something!

Tam said...

I'm sure you are right. About the French something. Also, the grammar police in me wanted to change the law to "do WELL on all your tests," but I couldn't do it...we always said "do good on all your tests."

Danae said...

My boys leave to Be H, F, K and T. After reading/seeing The Help I want to whisper, you are kind, you are smart, you are important to them as well. I think be brave, be strong are some more good words.

I love kid art. I have it on my walls in my house. When I move to a new house, I will use more art to decorate. I think it makes a house a home.

Di said...

I just say "Okay, love you, bye" in a quick sing-songy tone and they roll their eyes. They roll their eyes at that, what would they do if I recited The Law? Then I tell them all the things they need to remember in the day, as they continue to roll their eyes and walk away from me. They love me. When they come home I accost them with questions about the day and I pretty much get the same reaction. Usually with an added "Why do you ask so many questions???!!!"

Tam said...

I was asking Patrice too many questions the other day, apparently, and he called me on it. I said "I ASK SO MANY QUESTIONS BECAUSE I'M INTERESTED IN YOU AND I LOVE YOU ANSWER MY QUESTIONS!!!" (And yes, I was speaking in all caps.)

Alayne said...

I've always loved that your family had the "Be H, F, K, and T" before you headed out the door. I've tried using the line from The Help like Danae said, but there's just one problem. Everytime I tell Megan she is smart, she gets mad and yells, "I am NOT smart!" Crazy kid!

Tam said...

Sometimes if Nicco doesn't do something perfectly on the first try he will say "I'm an idiot!" or "I'm a loser!" It makes me a little crazy.

Danae said...

Waverly adds "And I am cute"