Nicco's homework on the first day of school was to read through the student handbook and the code of conduct. We both had to sign and return an acknowledgment that we read the rules. He said that after we turned it in, he would get "the code." He has played a couple games recently that require a special code, so I hoped he wouldn't be too disappointed when Mrs. Cornwell did not give him a secret code after all. Then on Friday, his take-home folder was in his backpack. He said, "That's what I'm talking about!" So "the code" is his Friday folder.
In his folder was a picture of a happy bucket full of hearts and stars and the caption "I'm a bucket filler!" I asked him what it means to be a bucket filler. He explained that if your bucket is full, you are happy. If your bucket is empty, you are sad. So a bucket filler helps to keep everyone happy.
When I picked Nicco up from school yesterday he asked if he could have an ice-cream cone. I said after lunch. Then he asked if he could have a chocolate milk sippy. I said after lunch. He scowled and humphed and when we got out of the car at home he said "You emptied my bucket."
Today while we were running a couple of errands and I told him I would not buy him a toy and that yes, we do actually have to run these errands, he said "You're dipping into my bucket."
I think it is great that Mrs. Cornwell gave the kids words and phrases that they understand, relate to, and can use to express their feelings instead of typical 5 year old words like "that's not fair" and "I hate you" etc...however, it would be nice if Nicco would keep the code in the classroom. I'm getting tired of accusations of bucket infringement every time he doesn't get what he wants right away.
One might even say he's dipping into my bucket.
Peace will find a way
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment