I'm anti preschool "graduation." We didn't go, so I didn't cry.
I didn't cry on Nicco's first day of kindergarten.
I'm pleased and proud to watch my boy learn and grow.
I do pretty well with his milestones.
MY milestones as a mom are a whole other story. The first time I sent Nicco to play at a friend's house without me, I had to call my sister and talk for an hour or so. I was a little anxious. A little upset in the tummy.
I've been walking Nicco up to his classroom door each morning to drop him off. To go through the gates of the school, you have to first go to the office and get a visitor badge, sign in and sign out again. I really don't want to do this every day, and I don't think they would let me do it all year even if I wanted to. I've been making Nicco lead the way to his classroom this week so that I am sure he knows how to get there.
Today, we walked up to the gate and I asked Nicco if he wants me to walk him to his class or if he could get there by himself. He said, "I can do it Mom," gave me a kiss, and marched on in. Ugh. I've been repeating in my head, He made it. He made it. He made it. Reassuring myself that he does indeed know where his classroom is, and also that once inside the gates, the principal would not let him wander out again without me there.
Still...I've got that little ball of anxiety sitting in the pit of my tummy and I'll be very glad to see him again this afternoon.
Peace will find a way
7 years ago
7 comments:
I am sure he made it just fine. I just dropped Madsen off for his first day of driving... I am assuming the teacher knows what he is doing and he won't wreck the car today!
Ugh. Driving. That will probably be a much bigger ball of anxiety in the pit of my stomach. I'll probably need a lot of chocolate to get me through that one!
I have had a way harder time with all this milestone/they are growing up stuff since Audrey started middle school. I can just feel the clock ticking away. It makes me sad to think that we only have six years left with our girl around but it also makes me anxious as in I only have six years left to repair any damage I may have caused in the first 12 years and make sure she gets through the next years ok. And then the boys are right behind her. I had that nervous pit in my stomach feeling the whole week she was at girls camp. She had a good fun time but got teary when she got home because she just missed us and was happy to be home. We spend those first years anxious for them to grow up and then all of a sudden they do, darn it!
I'm okay with the whole growing up thing (so far...) It's letting my little bird fly that I struggle with. He can grow up all he wants, as long as I can still see him. I'll have to find a way to get over that. Some day. Ideally before he goes to college.
either I am a really bad mom or just used to the kids getting older and doing things because I am not that anxious or sad or anything. I guess I have moments, like putting them on a plane and visioning sending them to college and missions instead of a summer of fun with grandparents. High school was weird last year, now not so big a deal. Driving a little scary but mostly because I fear for his actual life! Maybe it is because I have done the things you guys are talking about so it isn't scary to me and I have other things that scare me, or will scare me, that I don't even know about yet! I only have 3 years left with Madsen and Sully is right on his heels. I do admit to not looking forward to milestones with Waverly, more so because I know how quickly it happens and the thought that the year I send her to kindergarten, I will also be sending M to college, that is weird!
Anxiety disappears (for the most part, and depending on the peronality of the kid and the mom...) with experience. I won't be nervous in my tummy dropping Nicco off at the gate tomorrow. I'm not nervous about Nicco driving now, but I will be in 10 years.
*personality
Post a Comment