Thursday, February 17, 2011

In Which I Brag About My Brilliant Son

Okay, maybe not so much brag as mark a *milestone.

Some time last year, Nicco started sounding out words on signs and around and about his environment. So being the absolutely magnificent mother that I am, I decided to go ahead and capitalize on that interest and nurture some learning with the book "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons." (It's fantastic, by the way. Very easy, very logical, smooth transitions from simple sounds to more complicated blends and basic sentences to full page "stories." So even if you aren't a Magnificent Mom like me, you can teach your kid to read.) We have just a few more lessons to go to reach 100, at which point we will go Tango with the Rango in theaters March 11th as a reward for hard work and accomplishing a goal. (and to get Mama's Johnny Depp fix, albeit in cartoon form.)

Nicco continues to read street signs and supermarket signs as we go about our business. A few weeks ago on our way to swim we passed Ace Hardware. You all know what their logo looks like, right? Nicco was a little baffled when he read "Triangle-ceh? That's a weird word."

Also a couple weeks ago, Nicco wanted to stay in bed and read stories instead of getting up and watching TV (see, I am a Magnificent Mom!) I pulled one of my childhood favorites, Little Gorilla, off the shelf and Nicco read the first page, just as naturally as could be. Then he read the second page and his eyes got wide and he exclaimed "I can read!" I already knew that, of course, because he's been reading his lessons for several weeks. I think he only thought he could read from his lessons, not real books.

This morning, he brought Green Eggs and Ham in the car with him on the way to school and instead of listening to his Phineas and Ferb soundtrack or morning talk radio, I listened to the boy read a whole book to me. He even fluctuated the tone in his voice, reading with expression. It was delightful. He was proud and pleased, and so was I.

*Guess what! I know that some kids read earlier than others, some before kindergarten, most during, some later. I recognize that my brilliant son is not so much brilliant as normal. Probably above average, but still well within the VERY BROAD spectrum of what is normal at this age. That said, Yay for Nicco!

4 comments:

Danae said...

Yay Nicco! I think the learning to read milestones is one of the very best! It is obviously one of the very most important skills to learn in life but it opens up such a fun world! They are so excited when they discover that skill! He turned 5 in October, right? We love Little Gorilla, one of Waves favorites. You should find Good Night Gorilla, not the same gorilla, but a cute story. Very few words, it is one of my new faves.

Tam said...

is that the one where the gorilla steals the keys, lets the other animals out, and follows the zookeeper home?

Danae said...

yes, Cannon made different voices for each animal saying good night, and he would giggle away. I guess it is just one of those things that tugs at my heart!

Mom and Dad said...

I say YAY for all of our brilliant grandchildren. Not only are they brilliant and talented, but they are good, good, good to boot! Thanks , daughters and sons-in- law!