Saturday, December 4, 2010

O Christmas Tree

Last night was the Oro Valley Tree Lighting festival. Patrice had to work a little late because of a dinner party, so Nicco and I took Papi and Mamie to the Oro Valley Marketplace for some small town Christmas fun. We have four Santa hats, and Nicco said it was a good thing Daddy wasn't with us, because he makes five people and we only have four hats. He made sure everyone put on their bonnet, but Papi held off until we arrived at the town square because the hat bothered him touching the roof of the car. It bothered Nicco that Papi wasn't wearing his hat. On the way, Mamie said we were the four "Peres Noel" and Nicco said, in a very exasperated tone, "Except one, Papi!"
When we arrived, we checked out the big and huge tree.
Nicco was impressed with the big and huge ornaments.
Three of our four Peres Noel
Sipping hot cocoa. It's comforting, even if it is 70 degrees outside.
On Papi's shoulders, watching and waiting for Santa Claus to arrive
Nicco reassured the Big Man that he is indeed on the Nice List this year.
Mrs. Claus was keeping the list this year. Nicco asked for a cat. She looked at me and smiled and said (without a hint of sarcasm or surprise, for the little one's sake)  "good luck with that wish!" Then wrote in her little book "Nicco in Oro Valley - cat."

I really enjoyed our evening. Miss Pima County MC-ed the event, the local color guard presented the flag,  a 12 year old girl sang the National Anthem to open the festival, the Mayor made some remarks, the elementary school kids sang some songs, there were little crafts for the kids to make, and lots of people smiling and chatting and milling about. I felt all nostalgic and sentimental again. (What is happening to me? It's nothing new for me to be bit emotional, but holy cow. This year it's a whole new level.)

9 comments:

Mom and Dad said...

What will Nicco name his cat?

Mom and Dad said...

Oh, and, I guess you are your mother's daughter after all! It looks like you had a like perfectly nice evening in Oro Valley. But how can it be Christmas if it is 70 degrees?

Tam said...

The cat will be Petit Chat. Ugh. And, it is amusing to see penguins and snowmen decorating yards out here. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Di said...

You will love Petit Chat. When will you find him? Looks like fun times!

Tam said...

I think that The Jolly Old Elf will most likely leave things like a box and some toys for Petit Chat under the tree, and we will let Nicco select him a day or two after the grand holiday.

Alayne said...

Sounds like such a fun day! We put up our lights today and were sweating outside doing so. I remember my dad and brothers getting frost bite on their fingers when they put up lights! Crazy. Good luck with the kitty :-)

Danae said...

Are you really going to get him a cat? Way nicer than I would be! Looks like a fun night.

Tam said...

I'm not going to get him a cat, but it seems as though Santa will. I mean, when you ask Santa for something, and his wife puts it on the list, it's got to happen, right? If you can't trust Santa, who can you trust? We've actually been talking about it for a while, so I'm mostly mentally prepared for it. And, a cat isn't a dog! No dogs allowed! Also, I think I can handle one cat and one kid. Two kids, two cats, and two dogs would be too much.

Danae said...

I don't want any pets, the turtles are too much for me and I am pretty sure they will mysteriously die early in the spring! I guess 5 kids is enough for me!