Friday, January 24, 2014

Save the Day

Geeks around the world have been counting down the days, hours even, until the Day of the Doctor. The 50th anniversary special of Doctor Who actually aired on Saturday, but we were in Mesa and we had tickets to Monday's theater special event, so we waited with the rest of the nerds.

We kept the special event a secret from Nicco. As we planned our day, the Daddy asked me what time "that thing" was. I said 7:30, but we need to be there by 7:00 at. the. latest. I was kind of hustling my boys out the door to go to dinner, but Nicco mostly wanted to stay home and watch The Doctor. I told him we have no food for dinner and Daddy wants to take us out and get your shoes on and let's GO!

We walked into the Chinese restaurant and encountered some dads with their boys, dressed in bow-ties, trench coats, and fezzes. One had a sonic screwdriver. Nicco said, "I guess they're thinking about The Doctor too." He watched with envy as the man in the trench coat played with his sonic screwdriver. "I want to ask him where he got that," he said. I told him to go ahead. He did and came back wide-eyed and breathless..."Barnes and Noble! Is there one nearby? Can I go tomorrow after swim? I have my own money, but if you want, you can spend Dad's money on it," he said to me. When and where and how to acquire a sonic screwdriver and whether he should get a green or blue one was the table talk that night.

We finished our dinner by 6:45 and the Daddy lamented the fact that we had so much time to wait. I said that depends on the geek population of OV. Patrice thought that we met the geek population of OV when we entered the restaurant. I was not so sure. He said we could walk by the theater and if it's not crowded, we could go to Cost Plus or something until time. We walked by and with the line about 4 deep and nearly out the door, we took our place.

Nicco counted the nerds. There was a dalek hat, at least a dozen Doctors in bow-ties (bow ties are cool), many many versions of the TARDIS, and dozens of DW shirts. We even spotted one Impossible Girl. Nicco guessed that EVERYONE was thinking about the Doctor, still thinking we were there to see Free Birds.

The crowd was getting restless and finally a theater worker had to announce to those who were there to see Doctor Who that they would be seated soon. Nicco's eyes got big again, "Doctor Who? In theaters? I didn't know it was in theaters!" He also told me he was the number one fan. Based on our company, that claim was questionable.

Prior to the opening of the film I was reminded why I avoid going to cult movies with the cult.  I can barely tolerate the squealing fangirls. But, anything for the number one fan. The film itself was fun and exciting and emotional. Heartbreaking and heartwarming. At the end Nicco asked me, "Are you crying?" Uh, no. Nooooo...not me!

On our way out a friendly nerd let us borrow her sonic screwdriver to pose with in front of the theater poster with the tenth and eleventh Doctors.

He's sonicking the Daddy.
Good times, my babies. Good times.

No comments: