On Sunday one of the men at church mentioned how sad it is that we only celebrate the love of our sweethearts and that we need to be reminded to say I Love You on one day a year. I agree it is sad, if you really only celebrate the love of your sweetheart one day a year, or if you actually do need to be reminded to say I love you.
I've never been a big fan of V-day, except for maybe in the early elementary school years. My favorite Valentines were my parents. My mama always made holidays fun and special in cute small ways. I remember little flannel Valentine dolls one year that I just loved and then was devastated when a frisky feline ate and later vomited them. Valentine's Day in a nutshell, if you ask me! Blech.
But, for the sake of the kid, we do small fun things. He got lucky this Valentine's day because I had a meeting with his teacher after school, so he "had" to spend the afternoon with his friend Elizabeth. Her mom is even more fun than I am, if you can imagine. She made pink mac-n-cheese, heart strawberries, heart carrots, and Valentine cupcakes on heart plates for lunch. She did crafty Valentine hats and rings with paper plates, Hershey kisses, and pipe cleaners. She even let them play in the snow. Yes, snow. Big, fat, wet flakes.
Last year, I got a little cheap heart balloon on a stick for my small sweetheart. He was hoping for another balloon and I was planning to get surprises for him at the dollar store, but Safeway's V-day balloons were 2-for-1 yesterday, so I splurged:
Nicco's immediate reaction was as I hoped and expected, but after the initial big-eyed gasp he said, "I wanted a balloon on a stick."
The daddy came home from work and told us he loves us and we told him the same, just like we do every day.
Peace will find a way
7 years ago
2 comments:
We don't do valentine's day here either. I bought each kid a bag of their favorite candy and Waverly got a pink sparkly heart shaped plate and a heart cup. Her bag of candy was smaller so the same $ were spent on each kid.
It's all about the kiddos.
Post a Comment