Some people associate the word hog with Harley Davidson because they think that Hog is just a nickname Harley owners have given their bikes. This is an accurate association in the sense that H.O.G. stands for Harley Owners Group. Another thing people associate with Harleys is their special sound. These are two things I know from my association with Harley owners. Years ago, Patrice rode around on a Honda Shadow. He liked that bike. It served his purposes. He said that while he would like to one day own a Harley, he didn't feel compelled to get one. His bike was good enough.
Then, he got a Harley. I remember him asking me one day what I thought about the revving and rumble of that engine. I probably said something totally vague and non-descriptive like "it's nice." He smiled and got a certain look on his face...a look I imagine I have on those special days when he brings home a chocolate mousse he made for a party or something. When my response was insufficient for the depth of emotion fitting the roar of a Harley motor, he said something like "What is the ONE thing people think of when they think of Harley-Davidson?" I think I shrugged my shoulders and said something like "live to ride, ride to live?" Patrice rolled his eyes and said "The noise, baby, the noise." Okay. Sure. The noise. Of course.
Which brings me to this afternoon. I was driving Nicco home from swim lessons and we pulled up at a stop light next to a (non-Harley) motorcycle. The bike was yellow-ish sparkly gold and Nicco oohed and ahhed and said "I wish Daddy's bike was like that, it's really pretty." I imagined Patrice cringing. Nicco immediately redeemed himself by saying, "but it doesn't even have the same sound."
No comments:
Post a Comment