Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Air Show

Today was the big day, Nicco's first air show! We packed up our chairs, umbrellas, coolers, and of course, one airplane and headed up north to see the airplanes. Nicco had nearly as much fun just walking in seeing all the planes lined up (Nicco likes airplanes lined up in nice neat rows) as he did watching them fly. I always love to see his initial reaction to lots of planes. He points and oohs and ahs. He made sure that his grandparents saw what he saw. As in "Hey Grandma...hey Grandma...that one is HUGE! Did you see it, Grandma?"

Relaxing in the sun as the airplane parade went by. Thank goodness we thought to bring the umbrellas. There is no way we would have lasted 4 hours without their meager shade.
Nicco imitating the stunt plane flight patterns with his biplane.
The opening of the show was really cool. They had 5 little planes (if I paid that close attention or felt motivated to go downstairs and get my program I could tell what kind of planes they were. I did not pay that close attention, and I am mostly only motivated to sleep right now. ) anyway, these 5 little planes flew in some neat formations while the skydivers they carried jumped out. One of them was a former special forces guy, and he carried the flag (designated as a banner, so that it is not technically disrespected when he lands and it touches the ground.) The best part was when the planes made circles around the jumpers.
Here is the guy with the flag and two of the planes circling around.

Another cool fly-by formation.
Trail of smoke from one of the bigger planes.
Sweaty head Nicco on my lap. As if it weren't hot enough, I got the added heat factor of having my little personal furnace sweating...I mean sitting... on my lap.

Craning his neck to see the F-16s. They were super cool, for real. Those pilots are amazing.
Awesome.
They did hurt Nicco's ears sometimes, Nicco of the hyper-sensitive senses.
This video is an F-16 flyby. It is not the clip I wanted in my fantasy world of perfect filming. Ideally, I would have catpured Nicco's reaction to the first pass, when he was jumping and giggling with enormous eyes. Or, I would have captured one of the really loud, really close passes. This is what I got instead. It does give a small glimpse of Nicco's excitement, but I think at this point the sun pretty much drained him of all his energy and this was as much as he could muster.

A fun way to spend one of our last days with Grandma and Grandpa.

No comments: